School

It felt like we stayed there in the middle of dads barren room for hours. After a while I woke up Michael and helped him upstairs and into his bed, efficiently tucking him in. Looking into his innocent face I whispered, "I'll never leave you" and kissed his cheek. As quietly as possible I turned of the light and closed the door behind me. Walking downstairs I numbly went to dad's old room and picked up the photo album I'd made for him from across the room. Moving to the kitchen island I sat and looked through all the pictures of me, Lacey, Michael, and April. Letting a tear slip from my eye I closed the book and went back upstairs setting it on my bookshelf.

Sitting at my window seat I watched the stars as I waited for April to get home, knowing I'd have to break the news to her too. When I finally heard her car pull up the drive I barely managed to drag myself down the stairs. As soon as she saw me she stared at me as if knowing that I had something to say that she wouldn't like. Taking a breath I quietly said,

"He's gone April. He left this afternoon, and he took everything with him. I don't think he's coming back either."

Her purse fell to the ground with a clatter and her mouth hung open. She tried to close it several times, but in the end she had to cover it with her hand. I saw the tears stream down her face, and I waited to see if she would blow up like Michael. After five minutes though I knew this was it. Gently grabbing her elbow I took her to her room and stripped her of her jacket and shoes, laying her down and tucking her in.

"I'm so sorry, April. Go to sleep, and maybe it'll be better in the morning."

She willingly obliged closing her eyes shut, and burying her face in her pillow. Knowing that was my queu to leave I quietly walked to the door turning off the light and gently closing it behind me. Walking downstairs I picked up her purse and set it on the kitchen island before methodically going upstairs to change into jammies, and brush my teeth. When I was done I sat down on my bed wondering how I would put our family back together. Wondering if I even could. Squeezing my eyes shut I told myself that I could and I would put this family back together no matter what it took. Sliding in under the covers I closed my eyes and prepared to meet my dreams.

 *******************************************************************************************************************

The next morning was rainy and grey. Getting up I quickly brushed my teeth, and curled my hair, deciding against make-up today. Heading in my closet I picked out a pair of Jennings, a dark grey long-sleeved T-shirt, my grey boots, and black leg warmers. Grabbing my bag from the window seat I bounded down the stairs and placed a pop-tart in the microwave to heat up and grabbed myself a water.  As soon as they were done I happily munched away, but on my second one I headed upstairs to see if I needed to wake up Michael but surprise, surprise he was already gone. Rolling my eyes I finished off my delicious pop-tart and the last of my water and headed back down the stairs. Grabbing my bag I raced out the door, and started down the street worriedly looking up at the angry looking clouds hoping they wouldn't decide to pee on me.

Hearing a car pull up next to me I looked over. The window rolled down, and there was the new kid.

"You want a ride?"

His voice warmed me up instantly, and I wanted to slap myself for reacting that way and him for causing me to react that way. Stopping for a second I examined his face, the weather, and his car.

"Sure, why not. Thanks," I said and walked around to the passenger side.

Sliding into the seat, I quickly buckled and placed my bag on the floor at my feet. Looking over at him I saw he was wearing a pair of jeans, dark boots, a navy blue Tee and a black jacket.  I can see his lips fighting to turn up and I know he's seen me checking him out again. I feel the slight flush in my cheeks, and dignify myself with the fact that I don't know him and I could've just been checking him for any signs of danger. Rolling my eyes at myself on the inside I have to fight off the urge to laugh at myself.