Chapter 2

"Come on, Evie!" Eva's father sat by their new bikes. No more walking anywhere. They could pedal our way around. Eva's bike even had a basket for her possessions.

"Dad!" she cried. She was so happy. "These must've cost a fortune! You didn't have to do this you know."

"But I did. I can't stand watching you get so tired after walking the city. Now maybe we can get farther before we tire!" Eva hugged my father.

"These had to have been made in a factory though," she said, frowning. They usually didn't buy things made from factories, they were too expensive and they harmed the earth.

"Yes they were. But they were made in an environmentally safe plant. I made sure of that."

Eva smiled. "Can we ride them now?" she asked excitedly.

"Yes, yes! Go get your things and we'll be on our way!" Eva ran to the tree they had been sleeping under for the past few days. There was a small hollow that held her and her father's bags. Eva pulled them out and sat down on the ground. She pulled out a map of the city and drew a dot where they were. There were a few other dots on the map. They marked the best places to sleep and live for a while.

"Eva," her father walked over. She still hadn't moved. Instead, she was looking up at the big elm tree. There was a nest of birds high up there.

"I know you want to stay, but the park police said to move on. I'll miss this place too," he said, kneeling down and placing a hand on her shoulder.

Eva got up and upon seeing the bikes again, her sadness fled. She placed her bag in the basket and tied the straps around the front of it so the bag wouldn't fall off.

"Go on," her father said. Eva grinned and started pedaling. This was her first time in all her years riding a bike. She was unsteady at first, but started to get the hang of it eventually.

"Father! Look!" Eva yelled happily.

"Good job! Now follow me and we'll find a new place for the night!"

They pedaled off. Eva's stomach was grumbling but she paid it no mind. If they couldn't find any still-good food in the dumpsters, they would go without food that day. The bikes had probably taken almost all of her father's savings.

Entire days without food were common with Eva and her father. He couldn't get a good-paying job without a house, and for that he needed more money. And when they did get a house they couldn't keep it long enough for him to get the job.

Eva giggled happily and thought It doesn't matter. I'm happy as long as I'm with father.

They biked all across the city and ended up at a forest reserve. There was a pavilion at the far end that people had forgotten about, so they slept there. No night watchers came so they were safe.

As the stars appeared brighter and brighter, Eva held out her hand and made a quiet noise.

"Cow," she said. She repeated it. And again. The night free on and on before she finally got a bird to land near her. It was black as night.

"Hello," she cooed. The raven slowly drew closer when it realized she wasn't going to hurt it.

Soon it was close enough for her to touch it. But she didn't. She had learned her lesson a while ago.

At a sudden noise, the raven flew off. Eva looked around and saw animals of the night shuffling around. A raccoon, bats, bugs, even a bear lumbered around.

Eva fell asleep watching ants stream in and out of their little mound.

What she didn't know, was that beyond the boundaries of the park, in the untamed wilderness, people stood and watched her sleep.

Hi, it's the Bagel! Hope you liked the chapter! Hit that star button if you did! Byeeee