The Reaping

Over the next few weeks he didn't disappear and I became a wonderful swimmer." reaping tomorrow" I said as we lay on the beach after a swimming race that Finn let me win, Finn nodded and sighed. he didn't want to mentor but he has no choice.

I woke up in the morning and dressed in my best clothes a light blue blouse and black leggings with blue ballet flats. I met Finn at the square, he looked like he was going to be sick and gave me a light kiss on the forehead he left for the stage as the reaping began. I stood with all my friends staring at the eccentric looking lady on the stage as she stuck her hand in what looked like a fish bowl filled with paper.

She pulled out her hand with a single slip in it.

She took a deep breath and shrilled.

"ANNIE CRESTA!"

The crowd was silent and all eyes fell on me. I was frozen un-moving and I couldn't breath. the crowd parted making a path to the stage.my best friends sobs filled the silence with sadness as two guards came up behind me and took each arm. they half dragged half carried my up to the stage. I stood at the top my legs felt like lead and my vision went blurry. the sea of people looked up at me and Sally's sobs were louder now. I took a look at my district. I could see the sea and I could feel its cooling breeze on this hot day. I caught a glimpse of Finn in the victors chairs, his face was pale and tears streamed steadily down his cheeks leaving tracks in his makeup.The ceremony continued and the boy was picked. he was a year younger than me, his face was pale he had bright green eyes and jet black hair. as we shook hands I could feel his shaking wildly I whispered in his ear " it'll be alright" and we walked into the justice building.