Goodbyes are the worst

We were escorted to two rooms to say goodbye to our loved ones. the room was huge, the walls were painted to look like the sea and the carpet was the colour of sand I knelt on the floor and closed my eyes imagining I was sat on the beach. I'd sat there only for a few minutes when the door opened. it was my father, I looked up at him and gave him a weak smile " hi dad" I said casually " hi princess , look your gunna win I promise " he said as he handed me a small golden Locket embroided with owls and scrolls " its from your mother she wanted me to give it to you if you were ever in danger" he explained, " my mother" I said in disbelief, I've never met my mother she disappeared when I was a baby and no one will tell me why "thank you" I managed to say "now " my father continued " inside is a tiny cube that looks like sugar don't eat It unless your badly hurt without a chance to recover" he said sternly " what's inside will heal you but only you DON'T give it to anyone else it will cause them a extremely painful death" he continued raising his voice slightly " ok dad I promise" I said as I gave him a kiss. the guards came too soon and before I knew it he was gone and I was alone in this beautiful room. I put my head in-between my knees and sighed pushing back the tears with all my might.there was muttering and raised voices outside " mr Odair you aren't authorised to..." the guard told who I guessed was Finn " I don't care, I need to see her NOW!" I've never heard him raise his voice before. he violently opened the door and took in the image of me with my head in between my knees in the middle of the sandy carpet " Annie" he gasped I looked up at him, my eyes full of tears I'm refusing to let go. he sat down in front of me and sighed " its all my fault " I looked at him and ran my fingers through his hair " it was going to happen anyway, it was only a matter of time before they got jealous " I said calmly " jealous" he muttered with a sharp scoff "yes Finn, your really popular in the Capitol and they can't have you loving some district girl, that's bad press" he stared at the carpet tracing a pattern like it really was sand " you must really love me" I said softly as I pulled up his chin so he was looking at me " how can you even " he said hurt "for the Capitol to use me against you and to see me as a threat that'll get in the way of your Capitol 'lovers' " I said the last word with such disgust, Finn just looked at me shocked that I understand more than he does " come on the trains waiting" I said as I slowly got up onto my feet, giving him my hand to pull him up.

We walked out of the justice building holding hands, his fingers intertwined with mine were warm and comforting. having him next to me made me feel like I could take on the world. we stopped next to a black car, it was small and looked sort of like a beetle. finn opened the door one hand still locked in mine. I sat down and untangled my hand, it was really sweaty. I did up my seatbelt and gave Finn a long kiss on the lips "love you " I heard him mutter as he closed the door. I watched him get in his car then leant back in my seat, pushing back the tears harder than ever. I looked next to me and saw sam. the boy tribute. sat next to me, he was sobbing loudly, his green eyes full of sadness. I turned to face him and took his hand " c'mon lets go kick some butt" he giggled sweetly and smiled " yeah".

The journey to the train station felt like hours, I stared out the window of the hot car taking in the district, certain that it'll be my last time there and opened my sweaty fist revealing the golden locket my father gave to me. I ran my finger over the beautiful embroidered patterns and clasped it round my neck.

The car pulled up at the train station, we got out the car and walked slowly towards the long Gray train. the train had 'District 4' written in white letters across the side. Sam walked straight through the doorway without even looking back but I stood in the doorway and took one last look at district 4.