Chapter 1

My parents had sent me to the place to get rid of me for a few months. They were travelling the world and didn't have time for their own daughter.

Their selfishness led me to a place I never went; A few, actually. Their mid-life crisis totally beat my need for parents. But, I digress.

One morning my bags were packed and after breakfast I was picked up and shipped off. A bus came and only a boy and I were on the bus.

I hardly looked at him, or anything that the bus was passing on the way, because I was hot with anger. How could they really do this to me? No warning, no goodbyes to my friends, no anything. A tear rolled down my cheek, and then another. I dug my fingers into my palms to make myself stop crying. Tears were no cure for sorrow. I wanted to scream to cancel the lump in my throat but only a sob came out.

I wanted to wrap my arms around myself, but I only shook, motionless.

I cried myself to sleep that night. I woke up in the morning, and I was still on the bus. I looked around, and was startled by my surroundings. My throat was drier than sand, and my stomach yelled for solace. The bus driver got on the bus, and had food and coffee. He said it was from a nearby diner.

The boy in the back stood up. His slender, six-foot-something stature stood. He was light skinned and thin. He had a low fade and Air Force Ones. He was okay looking but, just so... skinny! Much too skinny for my taste.

"Thank you." SkinnyBoy thanked the driver as he headed to the front of the bus.

"Why didn't you just wake us to go in with you?" I asked.

"Well, you all were sleep." The bus driver said in a country accent.

We just decided to take the food. After all, why would he do any harm to someone whose parents paid for them to be there? SkinnyBoy and I sat in seats across from each other and feasted hungry eyes on the food. I immediately scarfed down the pancakes and sausage.

"I sure am glad he didn't get us eggs." Chimed SkinnyBoy.

I could feel energy and fullness and suddenly I was ready for the open road. I spoke to SkinnyBoy, but he was just paying attention to the road.

Hours drifted on by, and I had fallen asleep. A pothole woke me up.

"WHY THE HELL ARE WE IN WATER??!"

"TURN THE DAMN BUS AROUND!!!"

"ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL US??"

I cursed that bus driver to the moon. The bus was in what looked like a river, and I almost threw up. I was sure that we were going to sink, and SkinnyBoy said nothing. At first, he stood up in alarm, but after a while, he sat and waited for us to get out of the water.

The bus driver paid me no mind, so I decided that I could be peaceful too. After a while, We got to land. There was a dirt road and green everywhere. He said that where we were going was straight down the road about 5 miles and we would go at day break so there would be some light. I slid next to SkinnyBoy and whispered.

"Let's go, he's too sketchy."

"Wait. That's what I came over here to tell you."

"Well I agree. On 3 I'll talk to him to create distraction. You go and I'll be right behind you."

"Oka-"

"Three."

SkinnyBoy did what he said he would do. As I walked to the front, he opened the door. I leapt out of the bus and the sunset glowed against my skin. I tripped, and got back up.'I ran about ten steps before I heard SkinnyBoy's feet hit the ground behind me. We ran at full speed toward wherever we were actually going. My lungs burned, but I had to get as far away from where he could see us as possible.

Even faster. We panted and my hands got red with allergy. SkinnyBoy was right next to me the whole time, pushing away the brush to maintain the same pace as me. The run slowed to a jog, and then to a brisk walk, until our feet completely stopped. We were coughing and panting, and completely lacking liquids. He rubbed my back, his hacking just as dry as mine.

The rims of my vision darkened.I felt my heartbeat in my head.

My whole body got weak and I couldn't stop it.

Last thing I heard was SkinnyBoy saying, "Come on, we have to go."