FILIPINA

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Fintas, Kuwait

Present Day

"We will miss you, 'Mela!"

"Mag-ingat ka doon, Carmela! Mamimiss ka namin!" Carmela's friends entered, shouting loud farewells to their departing friend over the music playing on the off-namebrand bluetooth speaker sitting on the crowded kitchen counter. Everyone brought something. One of Carmela's friends had to supervise her the entire day to make sure she didn't cook for her own party like she always did. Carmela cooked for everyone's party. Today, her last day in Kuwait, they wanted to make sure she didn't lift a finger. Two large pans of Pansit canton, a Filipino noodle dish mixed with various vegatables and either pork or chicken, or whatever meats the preparer wished to add. Two pans of white rice. A pan of Lechon Kawali, fried pork cutlets containing every bit of fat that pork chop came with. And three people brought asado; a simmered beef dish, cooked in an either savory or sweet sauce with tomatoes, olives, onion, ketchup, red bell pepper and potatoes.

For this fairwell occasion, about twelve of Carmelas friends had packed into her apartment. A one bedroom apartment she shared with three other Hardee's employees. Even though Hardee's is an American food chain, overseas companies will franchise these chains and hire foreign workers to man these restaurants in places like The Gulf. In this case it was Americana Food Group. These companies hire workers mainly from The Philippines. The Manager, a male, would normally be from a place like Egypt, Syria or Lebanon.

"Pass the lechon! Carmela loves the lechon!" Moses, one of the male delivery drivers called out, making everyone laugh at his inside joke about Carmela's knack for not eating much. She was a short girl, slender and usually quiet. Sweet 'Mela, her close friends called her.

In America, Hardee's would'nt have delivery. However, in The Gulf, everyone delivers. From Hardee's, to Subway to Chili's. Even before delivery apps came into play.

"Very funny Richard! Ha-ha!" Carmela smiled while calling out from the bed, which sat in the middle of the living room for her and her friend and co-worker, Susan.

"Fuck Hardee's!" Carmela's yelled.

"Fuck Hardee's!" Everyone in the apartment replied in celebritory fashion!