Stripes of Insanity (Chapter 1)

Chapter 1

     Looking beyond the infinite ocean, the she-cat sat on a high grassy hill, her chin lifted high and ears darted forward. She closed her eyes, inhaling and exhaling the salty air. She listening to the waves rustle as they spread across the sand evenly. The warm wind calmly blew through her fur.

Her tail flicked back and fourth. She tried to calm herself, but she felt something urging her. It was urging her that something was about to happen. She tried to diminish the thought, telling herself that everything was perfectly fine.

She heard someone behind her.

"Seastar!" She heard someone call.

She turned around to see Fawnsky trying to get to her, an anxious look in his eyes. He gasped for breath, then spoke with a shaky voice.

"It happened again."

Without saying a word, Seastar quickly got up, and started making her way down the hill. When she entered the camp, a gray tom padded up to her.

"I sent warriors, but they came back saying that she refuses."

Seastar sighed. "I'm going to have to see her, maybe I could talk sense-"

"It's useless! She said that if anyone else goes to her, she'll kill them. You already know what happened last time."

"Stormbreeze, I can't let her do this," Seastar said calmy. "I'm going, and not even you have the authority to tell me otherwise."

The old deputy sighed, and nodded. "Very well, but Sealclaw and Graypelt will go with you." At the sound of their name, the two warriors walked up to them.

"Be careful Seastar," Strombreeze told her worriedly.

"I'm very grateful to you Strombreeze, I consider you my father," said the purring leader.

"If you were my daughter, I'd be proud," He said warmly as she got up.

They said their goodbyes, and Seastar lead the warriors into the jungle.

Seastar walked at a steady pace, even though she felt like running. She quickened her walk, her eyes searching around the thick forest. She was determined to get there in time before something terrible happened, the thought made her ears twitch with uncertainty.

She came to a stop, flicking her tail as a signal to the cats behind her. They halted and sniffed the air. They were close.

Suddenly, they heard bushes rustle, and felt eyes glaring at them.

"Hello, Seastar," a deep, threatening voice said through the undergrowth.

"Ash," Seastar responded, her blue eyes slitted.

A large paw stepped out from the bushes, revealing the menacing, striped cat.

The tiger circled around them, her body low to the ground.

"It appears that my warning may have slipped through your feeble mind, Seastar," the intimidating cat growled.

"Give the kit back to me, Ash," Seastar commanded, unsheathing her claws.

"No!" The tiger spat. "She's mine!"

"No she isn't!" The leader hissed, baring her teeth. "Your cub is dead! Nothing can bring him back or take his place!"

"It's because you killed him!" Ash said angrily, swiping at the three cats.

Seastar quickly leaped out of her way. "We didn't kill your son and you know that! You've gone insane Ash! Please, just reason with yourself!"