Chapter 5

(Mary's still in the same outfit for now)

Mary's POV

We've been here a whole week, and have had little interaction with the people who keep us captive. Nathan was able to fully stand, but I was struggling a bit, until Taka, I think her name was, gave me a simple bamboo cane. It made so much difference in my ability to now walk. We decided it was time to finally leave the house we've been stuck in, and try to explore as much as we could, we both walked out onto the front porch, I used the cane, but Nathan still had to hold my arm, to keep me up, I would see if Katsumoto had anything similar to crutches, so I could use those instead of the cane. I'm grateful that Katsumoto even allowed me to use a cane, we looked at our current surroundings, we blinked in the sunlight so our eyes could adjust, to our left stood an older man, he looked like he was a samurai, he's probably there to guard us. "Good morning" Nathan told the guard, we got no response, "fine, and you?" Nathan sarcastically asked the guard, still no response, Nathan went and took a step of the porch, waiting to be stopped and when he wasn't he turned to me and helped me slowly get off the porch. It was definitely a struggle, my leg wound was a lot worse than I originally thought. The guard followed us where ever we went as we walked through the village, this is the first time that we could really take in the splendor of our current setting.

The simple beauty of the village life really spoke to both of us I think, because it was so peaceful, the villagers gave us both strange looks, they've obviously never seen American's before. Children ran around chasing one another, people washed clothes in the nearby river, and the rice field below us, were filled with farmers, it was amazing. I had to stop walking for a minute, my leg felt like it was going to cave any minute, I think I've had enough walking for today, we happened to stop right where the samurai were practicing, the first samurai group was sword training. 

Near them, other samurai trained on horseback, they were shooting their infamous long bows that I've read so much about, they were lethal

Near them, other samurai trained on horseback, they were shooting their infamous long bows that I've read so much about, they were lethal. I stayed and watched the archery, while Nathan walked away slowly to admire the many more training, the guard who was with us followed Nathan, I guess he didn't think I would try to run away any time soon, he was right. I looked around, and noticed golden boy, he was practicing long bow, but he was standing instead of riding, I have to say it was still very impressive the way his strong arm slowly pulled back on the bow string. He held the bow in a ready position, then slowly let go, the arrow tore through the air, and hit right on the bullseye.