Chapter 10 - The House of Sindri

Chapter 10 – The House of Sindri

For a lingering moment, Cecilia and King Hreidmar's eyes were locked in a fearsome tug of wills, the outcome of which could hardly have been in doubt; yet during that brief introduction, a hundred thoughts swirled through Cecilia's brain, the most prominent being a sense of self-preservation at having now being unmasked as a "valuable" symbol of Asgard.

And to have been unmasked before a huge assembly of courtiers, all of them standing quietly, all facing toward her, only increased her sense of anxiety. Without a moment's hesitation, Doryelgar steered Cecilia directly into the crowd, which jumped and jostled aside for them; whereupon they quickly found themselves out in the vast middle of the Great Hall.

To their left was a group of musicians, plying their divers instruments in a lively concert; to their right, a tall, white-hot fire flickered, wavering orange and yellow hues along the stone walls. But in the distance, at the farthest end of the hall, was an imposing and most majestic sight to behold: for there, Cecilia saw, seated at an enormous table where they were finishing off a large supper, the most immediate members of the dwarf-king's royal family. And they were flanked by a bustling squadron of footmen, butlers, and serving men.

Two young dwarves were devouring a massive plateful of food, eating heartily and well on their way to becoming the bulging heaps that she'd come to know from her storybooks. Beside them, sat an elderly dwarf, who was vigorously cleaning underneath his fingernails with a meat knife, while his lovely consort did not appear to be eating, or in fact, doing anything more than sulking to herself.

From where Cecilia was standing, her head still lowered, she caught now, in the shadows behind the figure of the queen, a glimpse of one of the Queen's dwarf-pets, his pudgy hand across his mouth, laughing silently at her discomfort. It seemed like a cruel creature.

"My lord," Doryelgar began, "will you be gracious enough to hear of this matter?"

One of the young dwarves at the table belched. Cecilia tried to hide her repulsion.

"Pray speak," said the king, with a sweep of his large, wing-like hand.

"King Hreidmar," Cecilia said, "shall I speak before this company? It is a matter which–"

Whereat the dwarf king signaled almost imperceptibly to a chamberlain, who himself signaled almost imperceptibly to all the rest of the room; and she saw the servants quickly withdraw from the hall. Instantly the music ceased and she heard the crowds behind her, along with the musicians, recede. The tall double doors thundered shut behind them, and even Tin retreated to the shadows of the far corners of the hall.

"Now, Asgardian?" Hreidmar said with a smile.

"Do pray speak, young one," said Queen Gilas in a most quizzical tone. "We are all indeed itching to hear what fresh gossip you bring us from your realm."

There was a pause.

"How come she doesn't say anything?" asked one of the gluttonous young dwarves, his eyelids drooping.

Everyone waited.

"Father," the young dwarf said with a measure of irritation. "This foolish beast squanders our time."

"Perhaps she is dumb!" yelled an elder dwarf at the royal table.

With that, the royal family whooped and began slapping their hands on the table. And in the increasing merriment of that moment, the queen's pet, peering out again from behind the queen's chair, now allowed himself to burst into quite vocal and open mirth.

"Hold," said the dwarf-king and instantly calm and order were restored to the room. "Asgardian," Hreidmar continued in a most quiet, soothing tone. "I bid you, speak; you need not fear."