Chapter 22 - The Favored Son

Chapter 22 – The Favored Son

A day later, Loki sat upon his high-backed chair deep within the soaring tower of his palace Valaskialf in Asgard. High upon his well-merited throne, disguised as the False Odin, Loki summoned his brother and the All-Father's favored son, Balder, from his tranquil home in Breidablik to attend the gathering of the Vanir nobility and the Æsir's Privy Council.

The more centered a man becomes, the greater his success, his influence, his power for good. How few people Loki had met in his life who were well-balanced, who had that exquisite poise which was the mark of a finished character, self-control was strength; right thought was mastery; tranquility was power. Strong in the teachings of the ancestors and faithful to the tasks he undertook in the name of the gods, Balder took no time in accepting the invitation. A weak man fought, but a strong man governed himself to higher purpose. He was born to be a king, but had no desire for the throne, denouncing his title for a more peaceful life in Breidablik.

With Balder's silent but reassuring presence behind him, the Trickster God gazed down across the intricately worked table at three Vanir aristocrats, with a pair of armsmen in polished breastplates and tall oddly shaped helms standing off to their side. The seated men all wore long fur-lined cloaks over high-collared tunics marked with the ensign of House Njord upon their breasts.

Two of the men wore swords at their belts, merely for decorative purposes by their appearance, designating the fellows as belonging to the minor nobility, most likely Freyr's children or children's children – certainly not as high-ranking as their fathers, in any case. The third, Freyr, who was doing the majority of the speaking, wore no weapon, as far as Loki could tell, other than a jeweled dagger upon his belt, positioned just to the left of his buckle, within easy reach. That they had been allowed to remain in possession of their weapons at all only indicated the fact that Loki did not consider them, by any means, a threat.

Loki had expected the usual uneasiness that was common when the two realms found themselves together, but he had instead found a steadiness of composure, from the seated men, at least. They were all well versed in diplomacy, he would give them that. Their guards, on the other hand, were another story altogether. It was apparent by their disconcerted looks and the way they rested their hands upon their sword hilts that they had never been in the presence of the Æsir before now and were eager to be on their way.

"As Vanaheim's current ambassador, both Njord and Freyja felt that I would be in the most suitable position to engage in this initial contact concerning their hope of putting to rest some troubling and, might I add, 'persistent' rumors circulating among the realms of late."

"And what 'rumors' might you be speaking of, Ambassador Freyr?" Balder asked. He was well-loved and loved well in return, but his first love was always for truth.

The Vanir smiled disarmingly. "Why the lies regarding the assassination of Ambassador Belle Lios-Alf, and the mass movement on the part of our people on the Alfheim, of course. A movement that, to any reasonable observer, would be akin to invasion upon the lands of Asgard, if they were indeed true. I have personally assured my father that there must be a misunderstanding and that I would endeavor to uncover the truth in the matter of Belle's murder." He finished with a simple matter-of-fact nod toward Loki, as though discussing nothing more than the changing weather.

Freyr, much like Njord, was a tall man and well proportioned, even bordering on burly, with a dignified air to his graying countenance. Yet it was clear, if you knew what to look for, that he was a man accustomed to using words rather than weapons, as befitting an official. But to the likes of the warriors of the Æsir, it bred nothing but contempt, and before Balder could respond, Loki gave an answer.