chapter 5

• Dedicated to Colleen

thank you for commenting, voting, and reading! This cahpter sort pof starts in on the action hope you lik it!

~Lyre

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know you're going to hate me for this, but I decided to check out this warehouse Aunt Carla had told me about. I packed up my sleeping bag, jeans, extra shirt, wallet, and journal in my rucksack and left the barber shop behind me for good. I headed for Linda Sue's tiny rundown shack, which only fit one person. I couldn't see how I would explain this to her. She was like a mother to me, but I knew it was time to move on. I knew it would hurt me more than it would hurt her, thinking about leaving her made my breath catch in my throat.

I knocked on her broken door, which fell off of its hinges when she tried to pull it open.

"Damn useless door. What kin I's does for ya, Ara?" she slurs. She's drunk. Very.

"What happened Linda Sue?" I ask, frightened. I've never seen her like this before.

"Ebay shut me down. They founds us out Ara," she sobs, "They's are comin soon to arrest me!"

"Oh no Linda Sue!" My only true friend, taken away from me forever? I can't let them do this! "I'll stay with you."

"No! Leave now!" she screams at me. I flinch back. "They can't have you, too! Please Ara, go!"

"I found a place to stay. I'll be safe," I assure her, tears silently streaming down my face.

She hugs me. I have a million words on the tip of my tongue, like, "I'll find you again," or, "I love you," or, "Please don't leave me!" but I just keep crying.

"Goodbye, Ara." she whispers. She shoves me lighly away from her, a tear stuck in the corner of her right eye. I stumble backward. I can't see her broken face anymorew, but I don't want to turn away, because I fear it'll be the last time I see her. I force my feet to turn away from her, sobbing.

And then I'm running.

~*~

I make it to the restaurant in a matter of seconds. I pause in front of the door, wiping tears from my eyes with the sleeve of my jacket. I walk in and sit in a booth. Then, not five seconds later, I'm embraced in a bear hug.

"Ara!"

~*~

"Is this the place?" I ask Aunt Carla. It looks like a huge garage, with broken windows, overgrown with weeds and ivy. Birds nest in the holes of the looming building where the bricks are missing.

"Yep, this is it." she answers, admiring the building. I can tell she used to live here, probably when she first came to Chicago.

"I guess I'll see you around." I say.

"Did you tell Linda Sue you were coming here?"

"L-ll-Linda Sue left," I choke out, "She was arrested."

"She doesn't sound like good company to keep," remarked Aunt Carla, "I wouldn't stay with criminals, Ara. It's not safe."

"SHE WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP ME! IT'S MY FAULT THEY TOOK HER!" I scream, my body shaking with sobs.

"Shh, shh, you're okay. It's not your fault honey." she trys to calm me. I take a deep breath. I'll cry when I'm alone.

"Why don't you go introduce yourself?" she offers, "A lot of them are your age."

"Fourteen?" I ask.

"You betcha," she says.

"Alright. Well, see you soon."

"See you Ara."

I walk in to the warehouse, and immediately every eye is on me, as if a spotlight is pointed at my face.

"Hi," I say quietly, "I'm Ara. Carla is my aunt, and she said I could stay here."

"Yeah, of course!" one boy says, "Everyone's welcome here, 'cept the po-po."

Everyone laughs. I manage a weak chuckle. By now they have begun to turn back to whatever they were doing before.

The boy who spoke to me comes to my side.

"Hi there Ara. I'm Levi." he introduces himself.

"I like your name." I complement him. He seems nice, and is very attractive. His shoulder length chocolate-brown hair covers the right half of his face. He has a muscular build and sun tanned skin. His hazel eyes peer at me curiously.

"Thanks. Unique, right? Kinda like your name." he replies.

"My sister's name was Ara," I argue, then internally scold myself. That information could blow my cover!

"Was?" Levi pries.

"She's dead." I say softly, "Miscarriage."

"I'm sorry," he comforts me.

"No, I'm glad I told you. I haven't told anyone before now." I say.

"Why do you think you told me?" he asks.

"I don't know." I say. And I really don't.