1. fix a heart - lonzo ball

•••
for briana

A smile spread across Briana's face as she watched her boyfriend of six months emerge from the many graduates. The young girl began to wave happily at her boyfriend, a gift bag in her hand. As he continued to make his way through the crowd of caps and gowns, his face was serious as could be.

To many Lonzo was just another nonchalant basketball player that didn't seem to have a say on many thing. But with Briana that was different. They could talk about anything and everything forever and never get tired of each other. Even though they were a year apart in age, they had clicked and became attached as could be. Briana could still remember when she met him as a new girl to Chino Hill High School and had to sit next to the Ball boy in AP Economics Class. She had absolutely no clue where her second period class was, and had to force herself to ask the light skinned basketball player for directions. Lonzo took her being a new girl as an excuse for him to walk her to her second period for a week and then another week, slowly becoming a pattern until he asked for their number and the rest was history.

"You did it, babe!" Briana exclaimed, a smile full of pride filled across her face. She rocked on to her tippy toes, wrapping her arms around her boyfriend's long frame. However, he didn't wrap his toned arms around her and squeeze her like usually did. Lonzo simply patted her back and let his arms drop to his side.

Pulling back, Briana tilted her head to the side as her eyebrows knit together. "What's wrong, Zo," she questioned, reaching to take his much larger hands in hers.

"Look, I don't think this is gonna work anymore." Lonzo admitted, avoiding eye contact with the shorter girl.

Briana's heart felt as if it sank to her stomach, feeling as if all the wind had been kicked out of her. Where was all of this coming from?

"Zo, what do you mean? We were just good last night." Briana reminded him, tears beginning to fill her brown eyes.

"This is just way too much. I'm going to college and you're gonna be here. I don't need any distractions." He shrugged, still not being able to look into her eyes.

Briana allowed a few tears to spill from her eyes, but quickly wiped them away. She knew much better than to let anyone see her crying in public.

"The fact that you waited until now to be a man and tell me all that shows your true colors. I hope you're better without me as a distraction." The curly haired girl spat before walking out of the parking lot without another word.

a year later

High school graduation was always something that Briana had looked forward to from the moment she started high school. Sure, she had loved most of high school and appreciated the memories, but she was ready for a change.

Her friends and family had planned a personal graduation party for the new high school graduate and she couldn't have loved it more.

The party was coming to an end, everyone was beginning to clear out as the night got older. A knock at the door sounded through the house, nearly causing Briana to drop all of the decorations she had in her arms.

Adjusting her dress, Briana made sure to smile as she opened the door for the very late guest. Seeing who stood in front of her, her once cheerful smile faltered.