Chapter: 2

But, it was a human. The guy next door.

I mean, he lived the next room to mine in the orphanage. I always had desire to see him. He would allow no one to enter his room. He paid his bills by giving them under the door; he took his food by telling them to leave it outside, etc. I’ve tried several times to spy on him. But when I do, he never comes out of his room. But finally, today I got to see him; in a weird situation.

“Hey! Get off me!” I cried and he gently let me free but signaled me to stay silent and I did.

“Sorry for that. Hi, I am Rahas, the guy next door.” And then he smiled gently and I realized he had dimples. He looked very cute.

“My back’s still paining, but it’s ok. Hi, I’m..”

“I know who you are. Sheen, right?” I was surprised to know that he knew my name. But his name really got stuck in my mind. Rahas. Its meaning is secret. And actually, he was a secret which no one knew except me.

“I need your help.”

“What’s that?”

“If you qualify your exam, I’ll come with you to Bangalore. Please, can I?” I was shocked now. He knew what I was doing, he knew where I was going and he’d also know that I’ll be getting an extra ticket for a family member and that’s why he wanted to come with me. He knew each and everything about me. But how?

“Umm.” I was just thinking if I should trust him or not and he had all depressed expression on his face. I don’t know what sparked inside me and I said,

“Yes you may.” And his expression changed to happy and fresh. Suddenly, he was over joyed and almost hugged me. We stared for each other and this was then followed by a two minute silence. I just closed my eyes for a second and when I opened it, he was gone. I heard a thud on the door next to mine and realized he had gone. I am a bit scared. I don’t even know if he is a human or a ghost. But, I like him anyway. He is a nice guy.

I turned around to sit back on my table but rushed to the window to see a paper airplane stuck between the windows with ‘It’s urgent’ written all over it. I opened it. It read: ‘You are on the right track. You did just correct by letting Rahas come with you. All the best for your results Sheen, bye’

I was sweating terribly. This was something which made me numb. The handwriting was same. I opened the box in which I had kept the other similar letters or messages I got till now. They were increasing day by day. The curiosity is eating me from the inside. Who could it be behind the scenes? Is it Rahas doing it? Please, it shouldn’t be. But I fear no one because I have nothing to lose.

It was night, so I got on my bed to sleep. But I didn’t have sleep. I was tossing and turning around. The whole night I was thinking about the letters and Rahas. I just don’t know what I should do. But I know, as long as I follow the letters, I’ll be safe. But why me? Why not someone else?

I again got up and looked over the letters. I thought deep about that tunnel and stressed my mind if it could figure out something from the tunnel image, but the only thing I got was head ache.

I knew if I did it for long, my head might explode or I’ll seriously get a severe damage on my brain. I took out my scrap book which was old but was empty. I gently stuck those letters on it and wrote about the tunnel and Rahas.

I wrote it and read it again and again until I fell asleep.

I woke up and found out that it was just seven in the morning. I slowly opened my eyes and looked at the ceiling which was all damaged. Something broke apart from the ceiling and fell on my eyes.

I gently took it and realized it was just a piece of paper. I unfolded it and learned it had a poem written on. It read:

Oh dear! Oh dear!

I swear!

You are the best player we got,

In the game that we bought!

So, don’t let us down,

And show in this town

That beauty or a quest,

You are the best!

I quickly got up and stuck that in my scrap book. I jumped in fear when I heard a loud knock on my door. The land lady never comes to my room before nine in the morning, and then who could it be? I tip toed to my door and opened it only to see that it was..