Chapter: 1

It is a dark, sleepy night. All the homes around mine have switched off their lights except me. I am studying under my lamp light till late night as I will be having my exam the next day and I hope this time I pass it. I tried it last year but I failed but this time, I would not. I hope not.

The books are big and thick but my mind wanders somewhere else. It always goes back to the place; the place which no one knows is there.

It was twilight and the moon was already up. I walked down the dark meadows. I slipped and landed straight in a subway. Unknown to this place, I crept silently, following a sweet gentle music which was the only thing ringing there. It was an utter dark passage, but I never feared darkness because I never feared ghosts. A wind blew past me and brought a paper with it which rested on my hand just at the middle. It was folded critically. I unfolded it somehow and realized there was a message in it. It read: 'Hi Sheen! Ah! You would be wondering how I know your name, and who am I, right? Well, that's a mystery and we have selected you to solve it. Walk for another five minutes absolutely straight and then turn right.'

Whoever it was, knew my name. I felt cold all of a sudden. The music suddenly changed to haunting but I kept up with my pace. I walked straight for five minutes and then turned right as the message had told me. I saw some light and finally I was out of it. But when I turned back, the tunnel was gone, the voices were gone. It shook me from head to toe. Walking a few more steps, I reached home.

The place, the message, keeps getting in my mind and I just can't think of any other thing than this. But still, I am having an exam tomorrow so I guess I should study now. It's 2 A.M. and my eyes are all puffed up. The exam will start at 10 in the morning. I'll have to give my best. I want to leave this orphanage and live my life like an adult. I want to roam around in my city, the city of hustle and bustle, the city; Bombay! I would have to clear this exam, I would just have to.

*The alarm goes off*

I opened my eyes and realized I had slept on my desk. The clock showed half past eight. I got up quick and had a shower. I took a last look at my notes, stuffed my bags, prayed the last prayer and left my room. Thank god I had a two wheeler which I had bought on down payment. I worked in the McDonalds for a year to payback. I sped up and reached the exam hall. Thank god it was just quarter to 9. I showed them my hall ticket and they let me in. I searched for my seat and finally got it. It was strange. On my desk, someone had carved a message for me. It read: Hi Sheen! All the best for your exam. I know you'll pass it because this will bring you closer to your mission.

It gave me Goosebumps!

I can tell this was the person who had written the message which I got in 'that' tunnel.

The exam was over in three hours. The whole time my body was shaking with nervousness. It was a do or die situation. But when I finished it, I felt light and good. It was easy this time. But people around me made all types of faces! Their test didn't go as well as mine.

Just waiting for the results to come. After that, I'll have a two months' vacation until they send me the tickets and then I'll leave Bombay forever! I'll go to the city of 'Rock Lovers'! Bangalore! It'll be fun. But I'll miss my friends here, a lot.

I wish my parents were alive. They'd be so happy to see their daughter growing up, so matured and so independent. I lost them just when I was born. Both of them. In a car-truck accident. I would've never learned this truth if the lady from the orphanage had never told it to me. But I'm glad she did. Huh! I'll miss her too. She's the most kind of them all. I wish I could take her with me. Away from this orphanage, where she deserves to live. But I know I can't.

I played with the switch of the table lamp until I heard a knock on my door. It was half past mid-night. Who could it possibly be?

I silently and slowly opened the door. The lights were switched off of my room and so were in the corridors. As I opened the door wider, I saw a figure standing on the other side, covered in laces. Before I could shout, the person held my mouth with one hand and with the other closed the door and came in. I struggled to free myself but I failed. With the help of my toe, I switched on the light. I made an eye contact with him. He had grey eyes. So scary! And he looked straight at me. I stopped struggling. For a second, I thought I was dead, but I wasn't.

He removed some of the laces from his face, and I realized it was no ghost, but...