Chapter 16

Silvershy's POV:

The passed countless identical twoleg den, which all smelled the same. The overpowering stench and commotion from all the monsters and thunderpaths blocked all of Silvershy's senses. She relied completely on Java, Stump and Ebony.

StarClan please protect us. Silvershy prayed, glancing up at the grey, cloudy sky. Could her ancestors hear her from all the way in twolegplace? She hoped so.

Spectrum's everlasting presence at her haunches provided the silver she cat with some security. She trusted the Promethean to be able to get them all out of danger if the need rose. Glancing at the black she cat, Silvershy saw her companion's face crumpled into a look of focus, her pale green eyes alert to even the slightest changes in their surroundings.

"Here." Java meowed, suddenly turning to the right sharply, and diving underneath a twoleg fence. Stump and Ebony followed their brother, their movements fluid and confident. They had obviously taken this route countless times before, and were well accustomed to the environment, unlike Silvershy.

The silver warrior tentatively sniffed at the space under the fence. A gentle nudge from Spectrum made her poke her head through, anxious to see what was on the other end. The strong smell of another cat's scent markers reached her nose, and she wrinkled her face in disgust. However, Spectrum's soft mew, "we don't have all day," made her squeeze under the fence hurriedly, ignoring the urge to turn back and run from the territory she was obviously trespassing on.

Shaking off some stray blades of grass and moss, Silvershy looked up to see her three kits chatting with a light grey she cat. "Lemon." The silver she cat murmured, blinking in surprise. "This is her housefolk's den? Why don't I remember it..?"

"I moved." Lemon brushed past the three rogues to greet Silvershy with a dip of her head. "Far from your Clan's territory. I'm amazed you made it here, I take it you've seen your kits.." The plump kittypet smiled at Java, Stump and Ebony. "They are wonderful, but they never suited the kittypet life. Like you, they wanted to be free."

Silvershy was speechless at first, her jaws parted in shock. "It's been.. forever.."

"It has, Silvershy." Lemon smiled sadly. "It has." Then she sighed and sat down to lazily groom a forepaw. "I haven't heard a thank you for raising your three kits for you.." She grinned expectantly at the silver warrior.

"Uh, th-thank you." Silvershy stuttered, dipping her head. "Thank you for saving them from my Clan's fate."

"So you were attacked, just as you predicted." Lemon murmured. "I'm glad you survived."

"The Clan mates who lived are being held prisoners in their own camp. I was lucky to escape. More than lucky, perhaps foolishly so." Silvershy admitted, her ears drooping slightly. "And now I am expecting kits again."

"I'm not taking anymore. You're gonna have to care for these yourself, fearless warrior." Lemon meowed, her voice light-hearted, but accented with a serious undertone. Silvershy understood clearly that she could never ask Lemon to raise more kits for her. She was on her own for this one.

Spectrum appeared behind her. "So this is Lemon?" She Promethean appeared to look down her nose at the kittypet, mocking her silently.

"And who are you? Her kit's next foster mother?" Lemon snorted, ignoring the hostility from Spectrum. "Can't she raise them by herself for once?"

"I'm her.." Spectrum trailed off, seemingly unsure what she was to Silvershy. Eventually, she settled on, "protector. I don't care for kits."

"Where are your housefolk?" Ebony asked, cutting into the conversation with narrowed eyes.

"Out." Lemon grinned. "The whole house is mine until sundown! Wanna come inside?" The grey she cat urged her visitors to follow her towards the large den entrance, her tail flicking. "They left some of that juicy meat out for me, if you'd like a bite. I know it's your favourite, Java." She smirked at the pale brown tom.

Java huffed and rolled his eyes. "Whatever.." But his eyes were a tell-tail sign to Silvershy that he really craved that food, whatever it was.

Curiosity got the better of her, and Silvershy ended up following Lemon inside the den. They all climbed through a small flap in the entrance and into the stuffy den. New smells filled Silvershy's nose, and she had to pause to let them all in. How could kittypets live with this constant stench? It was hard for Silvershy to focus with such strange smells sending her instincts into overdrive. Her fur bristled as she forced herself to pad along the cold, hard ground after the kittypet and the three rogues.

"Bon appétit." Lemon purred as they came across a bowl on the ground, filled to the brim with some foul smelling meat. Silvershy wrinkled her noise, too disgusted to try and ask what crazy lingo the kittypet was speaking.

As Java tucked into the stinking meat-bowl, Silvershy lay down, suddenly feeling very exhausted. Spectrum sat next to her, the black she cat looming over her like her own personal guardian. "Wake me up when something happens..." Silvershy mumbled, barely getting the words to leave her mouth before she let sleep whisk her away.

____________________________________