Foreword

Foreword

I held on to his hand as the clock ticked and counted his last seconds with me . I knew it was time but I couldn't bring myself to believe it, but fate , it wanted me to believe , that I had to let him go. I didn't want to let go so soon , for the first time I felt ....I felt alive.The monitor beside me stopped beeping. His breathing became rugged and My hand slackened in his. I heard faint screaming but it was hard to decipher if it was mine or his. Everything I had , I lost it in a moment.I felt darkness engulf me and in that moment our story ended .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 1

"The plane will be landing shortly at JFK airport . Kindly fasten your seatbelts ." The flight attendent's words woke me up. I gathered my belongings which was just my phone and my earplugs and not to forget my BOOK. A water bottle lay stranded at my feet, figuring it must have been mine. I quickly picked it up before it rolled down under the seat. The airplane quilt was on the floor, coffee stained the arm rest and trust me there was a slight crack in the widow beside me from when I banged my head into it. I should've listened to my brother and taken our private jet but no I was too adamant to not take any of his money. The flight attendant came up to me and opened her mouth. Her words didn't register in my head . I blinked at her as my vision started to blur "oh boy" , I thought.

This is not going to be good . I reached into my back pack but I was jerked backwards as the flight attendant threw herself on me. I heard my seatbelt snap into the clutch and the flight attendant strutted away muttering something about foreigners. I guess my medicine will have to wait.

The aeroplane touched the ground soon afterwards. As the other passengers hurried to get out , I sat back gulping down the much needed medicine. Everything was till blurry. I waited for a few more minutes before the horizon was back on its original axis. Remind me why in had to be a stubborn er and reject my beautiful private jet. I must have literally lost my mind this time.

I got up and grabbed my carry on and my "belongings" and headed out of the plane. The pilots words were still ringing in my ears thanking me for travelling with them, as I walked down the staircase and out of the plane.

As I made my way to the exit, I saw a woman holding up a banner with my name, Alizae, written on it. As I opened the glass doors ,I was blinded again . There shone brightly the cause of it all. The sun . The thing in the galaxy which provides light and tans your body. Yes the very same one. I blinked , adjusted my glasses and walked towards the ' woman who came to pick me up'. Once I reached her , I awkwardly pointed to the banner and said,

"Umm that's me."

The ' woman who came to pick me up' smiled and said,

"We are pleased to have you here miss Aliza, please follow me ."

"Actually it's Ali... Okay." I sighed as she walked away without listening to the correct way to pronounce my name. I followed the ' woman who came to pick me up', she didn't tell me her name . She looked like a complete business advocate, clad in a skirt and the usual office shirt. Her heels clicked on the sidewalk while my sneakers grazed the ground softly. We were soon standing in the parking lot in the front of an SUV . I hopped into the back as the driver took my carry on and 'threw' it in to the boot. I sighed and plugged in my headphones, making a mental note of texting my brother that I had arrived and calling up yandel before he assumed I had died. The soft music lulled me to sleep and the last thought on my mind was that I had to visit my mother tomorrow, the mother I had never met before.

The sky turned from blue to gray as if God himself wanted me to die , to suffer. Wasn't the world against me good enough. Seems like it wasn't. The lighting struck the tree and it fell down right on top of our car . The car swerved for a minute but was soon out of control. The driver was dead. It rammed into the railing and the railing broke making the car flail into the river beneath. Instead of praying for my life all I could think was that my body would never be found. I would become a part of the sea soon enough. The scene changed. I remembered my 5th birthday, I saw a lady I didn't recognize , a lady who I was calling mom. She was beautiful. Her auburn hair fell down her shoulders in waves. She kissed my cheek and said

" One day you will be a mermaid , just like you wanted to be , and we'll swim together."

I hugged her and straightened my mermaid costume before running away. The lady looked me straight in the eye and smiled. The familiar face scared me . I wanted to run away but I was back in the sea being engulfed by the water.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Weekly updates on Wednesday.
Please comment and vote.
A.k.sandhu