My first conversation with a bad girl

CHAPTER 1

Ms. Jessica’s POV

“Okay Class, Goodmorning. Stand-up let us Pray.” This is the daily routine of my class. Pray everymorning, Pray every lunch, Pray every afternoon. But? Why is my class like that? Like a mess!

“Class, turn your book to page 34, "Factors" are the numbers you multiply to get another number. For instance, the factors of 15 are 3 and5, because 3×5 = 15. Some numbers have more than one factorization”

Kim’s POV

“OMG! Math Class again, I hate Ms. Jessica for this. Even though she looks beautiful, I hate her for today. You know Leslie, Algebra is a chaos! Ok, I am going to go on record amongst my ADHD peers and say it. I effing HATE Algebra. I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!

Given a choice between cutting off my arm or doing algebra I would choose to lose an arm, and I am NOT being overdramatic. I am an inattentive type ADDer, and for me I can not think of one single thing which brings me to infuriating rage quicker than Algebra. I swear that I can't wait to be done with this bull crap. It's not that I don't get it or realize it's importance so all of you math lovers, please I ask you to remain silent on this particular thread. It's just that algebra has ZERO margin for error, and I do NOT function well in anything which requires so much accuracy. It's also not that I am a math phone, because I love math, but algebra is special because its strictly a theoretical discipline. There are no applications for Algebra as an isolated subject. It's only real purpose is to form a common foundation for other mathematical sciences, of which I actually enjoy especially Geometry and Trig. I enjoy Geometry for example because I actually NEED to use it in my life, life for example figuring out how many gallons of paint to buy when I need to paint a room. Algebra has no applications in of an itself and it drives me nuts because there is no ends to justify the means.

Algebra for me is like beating my head in with a hammer”

Ms. Jessica’s POV

“Yes Kim? Any arrangement with Leslie there? Would you mind to share it on class?” (I wonder why Kim is that too arrogant to study Algebra.)

“You too! You are so booby! I don’t care if you don’t love me or not. I can see and feel what you are doing there on the last row. Stop!”

Kim’s POV

“Geometry and linear algebra are fine by me. I excel at spatial relations stuff (well, I used to anyways). “

Calculus on the other hand. . . I withdrew from Calc 1 because I couldn't concentrate with the smokin' hot blonde girl sitting beside me – LESLIE (I found out later she wanted to ask me out and I totally blew it). The insane professor with the thick arabic accent didn't help either. . .

And then I failed remedial Calc. The only F on my trans. . .*and the bell rang, not knowing waht Kim would mind be saying*

Ms. Jessica’s POV

“Excuse me, Kim? Can I talk to you with Leslie? Come over.” *sigh*

“I graduated with a History degree in 2005, then went to a different university to study physics. I quickly fell in love with mathematcs, but ONLY after I started taking 15 mg ER Dexedrine spansules once a day (which I wasn't technically supposed to be on-- disclaimer, no one do that, it's illegal, a felony)

Anyway, I always thought I was horrible at math, but at the time, with the meds, I aced university pre-calc algebra, pre-calc trig, and got an A- in a summer course of Calculus. 

One point here is that I was taking ADD meds (which at that time I thought of as "speed"), and miraculously started understanding math. I didn't get diagnosed for another 3 1/2 years, and it's funny that I hadn't considered the implications of the med's usefulness) I never could pay enough attention to the little "in between" steps, always jumping to a conclusion for the answer, which in math of course, doesn't work!

Calculus gives you a little more wiggle room than algebra, but unfortunately it requires a thorough and complete understanding of the pre-calc levels. Algebra gets more interesting beyond the calculus preparation classes, but it also gets damn hard.

Algebra, trig, calc, and geometry all have good practical applications for the average person, but I think the best benefit isn't the math itself, but the way it helps you learn to think logically, taking everything step-by-step. After thousands of times trying to figure out "x," I found myself thinking about it as the unforseen variable in any real-life situation. For instance, I need $100 for my power bill, $60 for the phone, etc, and I want $200 spending money this week, but it all depends on "x," the variable-- my paycheck, finding a $20 on the sidewalk, tax refunds, etc. This may not sound helpful but if you put a conservative estimate on the value of this "x" then you can plan accordingly. Maybe I'm just a weird thinker!! lol

Jessica, is there any particular part of Algebra that gives you a hard time? I always made mistakes with factoring equations... that was my problem.

*Fun fact of the day!* (I thought was interesting when I learned this): "Algebra" comes from the Arabic "al-jabr," while geometry obviously comes from the Greeks. I think it's neat because the idea of say, x², is conceptual in algebra (i.e., x times x), but in the old Greek geometry, for instance in the Pythagorean theorem (a² + b² = c², where a and b are two lengths of a right triangle, and c is the hypotenuse, or longest end), it literally involved drawing a square off the sides of the triangle! And the results come out the same!

OK, rambling post, I quietly withdraw. “

Kim’s POV

“School is cool. It's the rest of the world that I have a problem with. Goodbye Ms. Gotto go, dim is already here.”