so far away | suga ft. jin and jungkook

Lee Kwang-Hyun | pictured above

. . . 

"You insolent disgrace!" I heard the slap before I felt it. My face flung to the left, the long strands of my hair blanketing my stinging cheek. I cracked my jaw, wincing at the pain, keeping my eyes to the ground.

"Where were you?" The demand was as sharp as the slap and I stared at the ground. "I said-" I was hit another time over the head. "Where were you!"

"School," I muttered, resisting the urge to soothe my stinging cheek.

"School," she sneered, grasping my chin with her pointer finger and thumb, jutting my face out so she could see it. "Was let out almost an hour ago, so I repeat: where were you?" My mother wouldn't like it if I told her about getting beat up, so I lied on the spot.

"I fell on my way, my leg hurt, Okaa-san." She gave me a disgusted look, rolling her eyes. Pushing my face away from her, she derided, "of course, you can't even walk properly."

Before she walked past me, she lingered for a bit. Her eyes took in my worn form and slightly softened; however, as soon as she looked at my face, her eyes hardened again and she hissed, "do not  allude to me and you as family, kono yaro.

"Hai," I muttered, lowering my head even more as to not aggravate her further.

"Leave my sight as once, I do not wish to look at you any longer," she susurrated in mock anger, the tone of her voice sugary sweet.

I hurriedly got out of her way- another beating was something I did not wish to endure.  

Sliding the door of my room open, I rested my body against the strong wood. My interaction with my mother was nothing out of the ordinary; this was a daily occurrence where she berated and scolded me as many times as she could. 

Perhaps it was because I was the product of her infidelity and she had to face the consequence of her lust induced, vengeance seeking, passionate state of mind every single day. Perhaps it was because I looked more like the man she had her one night tryst with, as opposed to the man she enjoyed a short marriage with. 

Either way, she was only human and I understood her twisted way of expressing her emotions. 

At least, that's what I appeased my broken heart with. 

. . . 

The raising sun is so beautiful. I marveled at how the inky navy blue blanket covering the sky slowly accepted hues of light blue and then royal orange, blending the colors so the sky was both a source of warmth (that I wished my home felt like) and of cold (like the daunting chill of my future). Red and yellow accompanied the blue and orange, making it look like God splattered the colors like a controlled chaos. 

I left my house at exactly 5:30 A.M. every morning. 

First, it gave me the advantage of leaving before everyone else, thus freeing myself of any useless chores that they would dump on me before allowing me to leave for school. Second, it gave me the pleasure of experiencing the sunrise every morning. Third, it gave me time to reflect. 

I scuffed my way along the dirt pathway, trees running parallel to me to the right, and the Akki Kawa to the left.  Devil River, I scoffed; the river was aptly named, as anyone who dared get in the water never managed to get out. 

Knowing who was waiting for me at school made me sulk my way there. I had no wish to be beaten up by those girls again, and the fact that the Yuuma brothers came to my aid would make the girls target me even more.