Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

Shaun

Eight years have passed since that tragic incident. After my parents' death, we went to my aunt's house, and she kindly took me in as her own. Nanny told her everything that happened and promised my parents that she would keep me safe. Ever since that day, I shut myself out of people. I was afraid that if I come close to someone and have friends, they might end up like my parents. I was traumatized. I've never felt any emotion other than anger and loneliness. And I will never forgive that person who murdered my parents. I swear one day I'll have justice for my parents' death. I will find him and I will make him pay!

Since then, I've learned that everyone around me can't be trusted, and that the only one I can rely on is myself.

I clutched my necklace. It was a silver eagle.

This was the last gift my mother gave me. It is my most precious possession, and I never take it off my neck, not ever.

Now, I am 16 years old, and a grade 10 student in Princeton Academy, one of the most prestigious schools in the world.

On my way to school, I ask the driver to drop me a few blocks away from the gate, so I could walk by myself and.....relax.

"Shaun!!!"

I turned to see who was calling me...

Just my luck, it was Stacy. She's my "girlfriend".

I don't like her but I was forced by her brother. He said that his sister was madly in love with me and asked if I could do him a favor since we've been friends for years. I didn't really care so I just went along with it.

But now that her brother is dead, I can finally dump her.

"Shaun! Wait up!" Stacy ran.

"Leave me alone." I screamed and walked as fast as I can. But she was too fast and caught up with me.

"Good morning babe!" Stacy exclaimed, still panting. She looked so happy.

Well, not for long.

"Stacy, I'm breaking up with you" I said blankly.

The smile on her face slowly disappeared.

"W-what?" Tears threatened to drop down her cheeks.

"You heard me."

"But why! Did I do something wrong?"

"No. I just don't like you" I look down on her, irritated.

"But... you said you loved me." Tears are starting to stream down her face. "We were happy together!" she cried harder.

Yeah, cry all you want. I don't give a damn.

"I never liked you...And I was never happy with you"

"You're lying! You said you loved me!" she said grabbing both my arms.

"I never said I loved you..." pulling back my arms fiercely. "I just said that I liked you...which is also a lie, 'cause I was just forced by your brother." I coldly stared at her.

"It's over Stacy. We're over" I said blankly. Then I walked out.

"But...I still love you!" Stacy whispered in the distance, but I didn't care.

***********

That was the lamest break-up ever.... I could've done so much better than that!

Professor Landon was starting his lesson when I came in. I could hear some girls giggle at the back.

"Mr. Hawkilson, would you care to explain your tardiness?" professor Lagdon raised his eyebrow.

"I'm sorry professor, I was just....."

"I'm here! Sorry I'm late!" a strange girl said behind me, panting.

"Oh! You're the new student! Come! Introduce yourself to the class!" It's funny how professor Landon changes his moods so quickly. "Sit down Mr. Hawkilson."

I'm saved.

Thank you, new girl.

I made my way to my seat and listened to the prof.

"Okay class! Today, you will be having a new classmate!" He ushered the girl in front. "Introduce yourself sweetie!"

The girl took a deep breathe. "Hi everyone! My name is Chelsea Mae Styles, but you can call me Maysie! It's a pleasure to meet you all." she smiled.