Chapter 3

Friday morning. This is usually a great morning for students. It marks the last day of school for the week and the start of the weekend where they get to hang out with their friends and do whatever they want. Yes I get to hang out with Amber as she is staying at my house this weekend, but I also have to see him this weekend. Most girls would kill to be in my shoes. All they ever wish for is to spend the weekend with the Kai Brooks. Well they don't have to wish or kill for my spot because they can have it. Honestly I'm thinking of selling off this 'hang out' to the highest bidder.

Speaking of the embodiment of all things annoying, he is currently standing outside my classroom waiting for me to come out. I'm trying to stall by putting my things away slowly, but every time I look out the door he's still leaning against the wall snaring at the small kids as they walk by.

Is jumping out the window instead an option?

I suppose I'll have to face him at some point. I finally put my pencil pouch back in my bag and zip it shut. As I approach the door I begin to walk faster in an attempt to escape without being noticed. My plan failed. I got about five feet away from the door before I felt myself being yanked backwards by my backpack, only to be met by Kai.

At least I tried.

"Were you trying to perhaps avoid me?" he said in a mocking tone.

"Of course I was," I said bluntly.

He looked shocked. He probably expected me to say that I wasn't, but I'm not going to play games with him. I clearly was trying to avoid him and he should know that. Maybe he'll finally leave me alone if I do that.

"Well too bad," he recovered. "I'll be walking you to your next class because I'm such a gentleman."

"I didn't know you had a sense of humor," I snickered.

He glared at me, but then his gaze softened.

"What is it? Do I have something on my face?" I questioned while feeling my face for anything worth staring at.

"No," he replied. "It's just been a while since I've seen you properly laugh especially at something I said."

Did I really just laugh at his joke? Why did I do that?

"Yeah- well- don't get used to it," I tried recovering from my slip up.

I just picked up my pace a bit, sadly he did as well and stayed right by my side the whole way to my next class.

"Why were you with Kai earlier?"

Amber was currently interrogating me. Apparently we passed Sam on the way to my class and I hadn't noticed. Sam being Amber's other best friend and a good friend of mine decided it would be best to tell Amber about Kai walking with me down the hall.

"He followed me to my class."

"Really because from what I was told it seemed like you guys were walking together," she said with a smirk and a raised eyebrow.

We've been talking about Kai so much lately she's even starting to act like him. I mean she never raises her eyebrow.

"I'm sorry it didn't look like I was being tortured while we walked," I said sarcastically.

"This is no time to be sassy Ann," she scolded. "Maybe you didn't look pained because you actually enjoyed it."

I'll admit I have missed talking to him. I've noticed glimpses of the old Kai during our encounters, but that does not mean he's changed.