Helping Lauren

This chapter is Alexis. Two parts in one.

Sasha

~~~~~

*Alexis*

"Lex, its not possible," Zac states, "Lauren is in the advance state of her cancer"

"Its possible" I argue back.

"And how exactly is Dr Winters going to help?"

"Dr Winters," I say, matter of factly, "Is a cancer specialist"

"He is going to be worth a whole heap of money"

"Yeah and?"

"Its going to take ages to save up that much money and by the time we do, Lauren would be in heaven"

"Zac," I say, putting my hand on his shoulder, "Dr Winters is my uncle. He gives appointments to my family for free"

"Yeah. He gives appointments. What about radiotheraphy AND surgery?"

Wow, Zac is good. I hadn't really thought about that.

"I don't know. Lets call the hospital and see."

As quick as lightning, I flick my phone out of my bag, turn it on and call the hospital. Zac slightly leans over.

"Hello?" answers the person on the other end of the phone.

"Hi, is this Doctor Winters?"

"No, but hold on, I'll get him for you"

Few seconds later, my uncle answers the phone, "Yes?"

"Hi, Mark. Its Alexis"

"Oh, Alexis, what do you need?" he pauses, "You don't have cancer, right?"

"No! But one of my friends sisters do"

"Goodness gracious!"

"Yes, can we book an appointment?"

"Yes, whats the patients name?"

"Lauren. Lauren-Kate Miller."

"Lexi, since you are my niece and that the hospital allows free appointments to family members-"

"Uncle Mark," I cut him off, "I know, but if you want radiotheraphy AND surgery, what do you do?"

"Oh" my uncle stops, "Don't hang up, I'll be right back"

I sigh and turn to Zac. He had this 'I told you' face on.

But I want to protect Lauren, and make sure she's OK. Suddenly Lauren burst into Zac's room.

"Hi Lexi" she greets, all cheerful. Its so nice that she's not negative about her 'situation'. "Wassup?" Lauren dances and plops down on Zac's bed.

"Finding a doctor for you" Zac says putting an arm around her.

"Lexi, are you still there?" my uncle's voice startles me.

"Oh, um, yeah" I reply, keeping an eye on Lauren.

"A radiotheraphy and a surgery, is available here, but we need to know how old Lauren is"

"Nine" I tell him, confused.

"Samantha, pass me Lauren-Kate's medical documents" he calls to someone working for him. I hear him flicking pages over.

"This says that Lauren Miller is in the advance stages of her cancer. So, the chances that radiotheraphy and surgery might not cure is great"

"Can we try, though?"

"Yes, but the most it can do is stop the symptoms getting worse"

"Whats the price?"