5 - Understand

Chapter 5 – 1846 words

I thought we were lucky that we found an empty cave quickly after the crash. Otherwise we wouldn't know where to pass the night.

I looked at the tallest member in front of me, or whom we call the leader.

Namjoon and I, we had been walking for at least an hour – I wasn't sure – and still, we found nothing.

I started to regret following him. But I couldn't just let him go alone. That's too dangerous. And it worries me.

Despite the cold night, sweat starts to form on my back and forehead from climbing hills and crawling under fallen trees.

I wanted to stop and rest, but Namjoon seemed determined to find fresh water source before midnight strikes, so I just ran my hair through my bright pink hair, pushing my fringe away from my eyes, and kept walking.

"Nam- Namjoon hyung, can- can we slow down?" Between pants, I finally gave up and asked.

"If you're tired, just go back first." Without stopping or slowing down, Namjoon answered coldly.

I understood clearly why he would be annoyed; I mean everyone was. But his attitude was so cold and harsh, which doesn't help.

I didn't want our only leader – capable and reliable – to give up already.

"Hyung, no one wanted this to happen..." I started, but stopped immediately when Namjoon gave a cold stare that could stab someone, legit.

"...what I'm saying is that we can't lose you. You need to help us through this. You're the leader."

Namjoon stopped walking, and so did I. But I continued talking.

"I'm- I'm just worried, you know? Everyone seems tired and worn out, and I- I need you to pull them back together. Only you can do that... especially when Jin hyung is un- unconscious."

I stuttered, being nervous near a heated-up Namjoon. But I had to tell him this, when we were alone.

As expected, I didn't get any response from the leader. We stood there, his back turned on me. His hair glimmered under the moonlight.

For a moment, the silence was peaceful.

Then, Namjoon started walking again.

"Look, I- I don't want you to carry all the responsibility, it's not anyone's fault, no one's responsibility. Ju- just do me a favour and- and take a good night sleep, get rid of your attitude, please. Otherwise I doubt any of us can take it anymore."

After catching up, I tried talking to Namjoon again. I was trying so hard to get into his heart, and ask him what's going on.

This time round, Namjoon did give me an answer. But it was far from what I wanted.

"You finished talking?"

I flinched from his cold words, and sighed, giving him a nod in response.

I gave up trying.

If he was that angry, something bad – real bad – must've happened to him, and it wasn't only the car crash or Jin fainting.

Nothing I knew of, anyways.

Maybe he would feel better the next morning, after a good sleep.

"We're going that way. I heard running water. That could mean a river, and if we're lucky, we can catch fish for food. How much time do we have left?"