Chapter 6: Good-byes

I get out of bed the day after the horrid news. I have to leave school, not even two weeks in. I trudge downstairs. Alexandra tries to cheer me up, but it doesn't work. I leave the house earlier en usual, and slowly walk to school. I get there ten minutes early, ignore the comments rom Hailey, and don't feel much better even when Rachelle comes up to me. In fact, it makes me feel worse that I have to leave her so soon.

"Hey Win!" She calks to me, using my nickname she made up from two days ago. I look down at my feet, unable to look at her, afraid I might cry. She looks at me worriedly, and asks "What's wrong? Are you still sick?"

I sigh, but I know I have to reply sooner or later. "No, it's just that, I have to move. This weekend."

"What?!? But you just got here yesterday! Why?!?"

"Alexandra's work requires her to move. It was so sudden and unexpected, but we still need the money, so we have to. Alexandra hates it even more though, because she grew up here, all her friends are here too, and she thought we would be here longer, so that I can make friends, but it turns out I can't."

She sighed mad looked down at the ground with me. "Well, where are you going then? Maybe I can visit you, even if it's just for summer break!" She says hopefully.

"We don't know yet," I say, hating having to lie to her about anything. "The company hasn't told us, they're still planning it out I guess. They don't want us to know what state, or possibly country, until they know the town city that it has to be by. It sucks and is stupid. And even worse, my phone broke. It fell or something and the screen is cracked, so I won't be able to contact you until I get a new one, which won't be for a while. I'll try to email you though. Don't worry, I have your number on google docs in the contacts."

"Well do you know when you're leaving then?"

"Saturday."

"Then we need to schedule a day for just us!" She exclaims hopefully. "When can you?"

"We should be done packing at around Friday, so we can spend after school then together, if that's okay with you."

"That's perfect!" She says as the bell rings and we go inside. We talk a little more on the way to our classes, and that cheers me up a bit more, then it's off to classes and on with the horrible week.

~~

The week finally passes and it's Friday. The teachers announced to the first period classes that Friday will be an unexpected teachers conference, so we have that day off. I acted surprised, even though I already knew it was going to happen, because Mr.Parker and Mrs.Monroe told me when they explained how I'm too weird to be with normal people. Rachelle however, who didn't know anything about it, practically jumped on me when she saw me and hugged me, which earned some stares that we ignored. "It's a miracle!" She had yelled as she poorly jumped onto my back as I put my things away for lunch, and the main topic of the day was what we were going to do for Friday.

But now it was finally that day. I woke up at exactly 7:00 AM to Rachelle calling the home phone, which we still had until later today. I walked downstairs still in my PJ's and picked up the phone. I was greeted with a loud squeal that instantly woke me up, and nearly broke me eardrums.

"ITS FRIDAY!!!!!! FINALLY A DAY ALL FOR OURSELVES!!!!!" She left out the "before you have to leave forever" part, probably to keep me from remembering. It didn't work, but I appreciated the effort.

"You know, I would appreciate if you could NOT break my ears as I'm still adjusting to e regular noises of morning. Even Alexandra doesn't get that loud when she is exited, and that's saying a lot." I say as I get out a poptart and go to the couch to enjoy it.