The Dreams That Follow

The summer breeze flows through her hair while she sits underneath the apple tree. Tears dry up on her cheeks while she corrects her sundress. Mandy sat beside her holding her hand as tears feel down her small face. My mother wrapped her arms around her, whispering something into her ear, before spotting me.

"Mia, come join us." her voice so sweet as she smiled trying to hide the pain.

My small hands grip around a pigtail before walking over. I can feel the tears fighting their way to escape. My eyes burn and the world become a blur as I reach them. My mom lifts out her hand to help me. As my hand touches hers the tears rush down my face as I sob.

"Everything will be okay my dear," she says pulling me in; consoling me, "we will never be alone as long as we have each other."

"How?" I ask in a child's voice, the sound sending chills down my spine.

"Your father still loves you two, he's just found another person to love as well. I will always love you no matter what happens and Mandy will always be there for you just like you'll be there for her." she explains and Mandy and I rest our heads on her chest.

"What is love?" Mandy asks while our mom wraps her arms around us.

"Love is a feeling you get. When I first found out I was going to have you two, I was terrified that I couldn't be a good mother. However, as each of you entered into my life I grew confidence that I can give you the best life I could. I loved you even though you weren't born yet." She explains while staring down at us with those green eyes.

"Do daddy and you love each others?" I ask fumbling over my worlds.

Her smile makes all the tears from our eyes disappear before answering, "When I meet your father I didn't think I could love him. After time my heart started to race whenever I saw him, and I could think of no one else but him. It's a different kind of love then what I feel for you two."

"That didn't answer the question mommy." Mandy argues while I listen intently.

"Your father and I have a difficult relationship. I'm extremely grateful to him now, I loved him once and I suppose I always will since he's the one that gave me you two." she smiles and strokes our hair.

"Mia?" they begin to call out my name in unison before my eyes shoot open to see Josh's face hovering above mine.

"Mia, are you okay?" he asks the music still blasting through the house.

"Josh what is love?" I ask still slurring my words as the feeling of vomit rises and my body rests over a toilet.

"Love is what I feel towards y-" hes answer cut short as I fade back into my dreams.

"Mia, what's wrong with you," my mother yells as I sit flipping through a book, "you can't just go around and cause so many problems for people!"

"What's it matter?" I ask uncaring.

"He was a married man, Mia!" she screams throwing her hands in the air. "What in God's name where you thinking?"

"Does it really matter," my voice rises as I slam down the book, "there's no such thing as love! There's only sexual attraction and you need to grow up! You're a grown ass woman who still believes in love. Well guess what, you're "one true love" left you for some one younger! There's no such thing as love and the sooner you get that into your head the sooner you'll get past this."

"Mia," her voice is calm as she says my name, "I may still believe in love because I still feel it. One day you'll realize this and hopefully you're entire attitude will change." tears stream down her face as she tries to stay strong.