Chapter 2: Connor Murphy

"...what's up, Evan?"

You sat across from Evan at a lunch table, staring at him. Jeremy had left to go order his lunch. He was acting jumpy, and he was shaking just ever so slightly.

"I-I met this guy... Um, h-his name... His name was...Connor? Connor M-Murphy?"

"Murphy?  Is he Zoe Murphy's brother or something?"

Evan turned slightly red at the mention of Zoe.

"U-Um... Yeah, I think so...?"

You noticed this, smirking, before taking a bite into your sandwich.

"So, are you and Connor friends now?"

Evan flinched, before shaking his head.

"N-No...! N-Not really... H-He sort of p-pushed me over, e-earlier...? Well...! N-Not really pushed, but something l-like that happened... A-And...he yelled at m-me...?"

You dropped your sandwich, swallowing whatever was left in your mouth.

"Was he bullying you...?"

You squinted your eyes into somewhat of a glare, your shoulders tensing a bit. You couldn't help but feel somewhat protective over Evan since you two first met. Evan, noticing your glare, shook his head, waving his hands in front of his face.

"N-No! I think he was just in a b-bad mood..."

You relaxed a bit, picking up your sandwich, but you still felt skeptical.

"Evan...look. I worry, okay? I don't want you getting hurt, so...try to keep clear of that 'Connor' guy, alright? There's no telling what he could possibly do."

Evan paused for a moment, before smiling softly and nodding his head.

"Yeah... I'll be careful. H-Hey, (F/N)..."

"Hm? What's up, Evan?"

"Your concern...really means a lot. As someone who's barely had any friends...it's nice to know someone's looking out for me. And I guess, you mean a lot to me too."

Taken aback by his extremely earnest response, you only stared at him with a tint of red on your cheeks. Evan, however, took your silence negatively, as a frown immediately made its way upon his face.

"T-That was really u-unnecessary, wasn't it? I...! Um, d-don't listen to me; I was just r-rambling, a-and-"

"Of course, Evan. You mean a lot to me too; in fact, you're probably one of my first true friends, besides Jeremy, that is."

You laughed a bit as Evan smiled, letting out a sigh of relief.

"...I missed a lot, didn't I?"

Suddenly, a new voice entered the fray. Both you and Evan turned your heads to see Jeremy, holding a lunch tray. He fake pouted.

"Man... I always miss out on all the good stuff!"

Both you and Evan laughed, as Jeremy proceeded to sit next to you. However, what Evan had just previously said made you feel...good. Like, you did something great to impact someone's life.

Senior year's going to be...really something.

--

"So, writing letters to yourself is like a coping method for your anxiety?"

"Y-Yeah, I guess so. I just do what my therapist tells me to do..."