Prologue

Elsie Rocket breathed heavily through her oxygen tube as she clumsily gripped the outside of the international space station. The zero gravity atmosphere threatened to pull her out into the dismal abyss, but her fingers clung like irons to the cold metal bar. All she could hear was her breathing, and the steady clunk clunk clunk of the only other survivor, Rory working inside the station. The noise tinny on her small radio. A pain in her chest radiated, as it always did when she thought of Rory, and what happened to him. It wasn't fair. None of it was fair. It was a miracle he had survived Calvin's attack, but he had paid a terrible price. Even if they made it to earth, the Rory Adams she knew and loved would still be gone. Elsie closed her eyes, and then opened them again. She knew she had to move, she knew she couldn't let the paralyzing fear that always plagued her during spacewalks over come her yet she couldn't bring herself to let go of the bar. She took a deep breath, and then moved slightly to the left. She had to get to the decompression valve, she had to reorient it so they could kill this son of a bitch alien and go home.

A small movement caught her eye and she looked up. She saw him, it about fifty feet away from her, it's transparent tentacles creeping along the wall of the station. Elsie felt herself freeze, but she knew it was too late. He had already seen her. She held her breath as it crawled towards her, mouth turning up into a grotesque smile.

Elsie knew at that very moment that she was going to die.