13

Adora

I was avoiding the fact that my birthday was in three days. I was avoiding the fact that I was turning eighteen, and I was avoiding the fact that I was going to be responsible for myself now.

I'd been responsible for myself for a while, but in a few days, I actually would be. I couldn't tell if I was happy, or if it was just a rude awakening.

"We're going to throw you a bomb ass party, Adora. Don't even think we won't," Brenna said, lifting an eyebrow.

I bit into my twizzler, furrowing my brows. "I don't think I need a super extravagant party. It's just eighteen, it's not like I'm old enough to drink or go clubbing."

"Actually, you are," Landon corrected, "there's eighteen and up clubs, and you're going to one."

I threw my head back with a laugh. "Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass."

"It wasn't an offer, sweetheart, we're going."

I frowned and Brenna placed a hand on Lan's shoulder. "If she doesn't want to go, she doesn't have to."

She leaned closer to him and tried to whisper, but it didn't work. "We'll knock her out if we have to."

"Okay, really, as sweet as it is that you guys are trying to make my birthday unforgettable, I'm fine with just chilling here with you guys."

"Well, lucky you, you have friends who aren't fine with that," Brenna said, shooting me a smile from behind the counter.

"It's not just your birthday, Adora, you've got to remember, it's ours, too," Landon said, making me chuckle.

"I'll keep that in mind," I whispered, shooting them a wink as I patted the counter.

"Seriously, Adora, you can't want a mediocre eighteenth. And even if you do, I'm not going to let you have one. Eighteen is like, losing your virginity. You know?"

"I'm not following," I said, eyebrows furrowed together, my bottom lip jutted out.

"Likewise," Lan said, "how do you compare virginity to an eighteenth birthday?"

"I'm just saying," she defended, "God, bloody shun me, why don't you!"

"Well before we do that," I said, "you could try and explain your simile?"

"Turning eighteen is like you're losing the last little bit of kid inside you, is all I meant. I thought that would be self-explanatory, for such smart people," she said, "you know, actually, to be so smart, you two are pretty ditsy sometimes."

"It makes more sense now," I said, nodding over at Lan as we both ignored her comment. Lan nodded and we looked back at her, her arms folded across her chest with an eyebrow cocked up at us.

"I honestly can't with the stupidity today," Brenna groaned, "I'm hitting up Wendy's, anyone want to tag along?"

There was a two second pause. Two seconds. She yanked us both up and dragged us to her car. Granted, it was a nice car.

"Hey, Bren, how'd you afford this car anyway?" Landon asked, baffled.

"Oh, she didn't tell you? Her sugar daddy got it for her," I said, sticking my tongue out at her as she flicked my ear.