Chapter 21

"Brake check," Niall yells, slamming his foot on the brakes of Harry's black Mercedes.

He whips his head towards Harry who was in the passenger's seat for a change. Big, tough, Harry Styles was gripping the door handle for dear life. Niall laughs out loud and speeds down the road before stopping at a red light.

"So, how am I doing?" Niall asks with a smirk. He knew his driving was atrocious, but he just wanted to see Harry sweat.

"You're never allowed in my car again," Harry breathes out, "Ever."

Niall doesn't say anything because he knows Harry isn't completely serious. Before Harry could drop Niall off at school he had to stop to fill his gas tank, which Niall took as the perfect opportunity to slip into the driver's seat and take over. He locked the door and gave Harry no other choice but to get in the other side.

"Niall, please be careful," Harry tries to reach for the steering wheel when Niall swerves a little too close to another car.

Niall bats his hand away and makes a sharp turn into his school's parking lot. He could hear Harry's heavy breathing and he had to bite his lip to avoid laughing again.

He drives to the most isolated part of the lot and parks as crookedly as possible, turning the car off and looking to Harry with a smile.

"That was fun."

"No. It wasn't." Harry rubs his hands down his face.

"I think I just need some more practice."

Harry plucks the keys out of Niall's hand and puts them in his suit pocket, "I think you should wait another year before you learn how to drive."

"Ugh, no, I wanna learn now."

"You have me, what's the rush?" Harry questions as if he expected to be Niall's chauffeur for the rest of his life.

Niall's hands continue to tightly grip the steering wheel even though the car was parked and shut off. He constantly felt the need to brace himself.

"I can't depend on you forever, H."

Niall cautiously flicks his eyes up to look at his boyfriend, who silently stares out the front windshield before nodding his head.

"Don't get all mopey on me," Niall giggles and reaches to tickle Harry under his chin. "It's just me trying to learn how to drive. I'm not going anywhere."

Harry's face finally breaks into a smile, "I know," he replies, "I must have forgot that when you water a flower, it grows."

He reaches out and his fingers softly graze Niall's cheek, then stop to pinch his chin.

Niall blushes. Cheesy, he thinks.

"Well, I guess I better stop watering you since you're almost thirty now."

Niall scrunches his nose at the risky joke, but Harry senses the humor and looks at the blond unbelievably.

"Shame on you for dating an old man, then."

He laughs and wags his finger at Niall before he pulls his boyfriend's hands off the wheel and towards his body. Niall follows his lead and moves to straddle him in the passenger seat.

Harry holds his face for a minute when he settles in his lap. Appreciating and absorbing what he's unnoticingly been missing these past two years. Niall has changed. He's changed a lot. His face is more defined and he's not as lanky as when they first met. His style is significantly different as well. Harry knows Niall thinks he doesn't notice, but he does. Most days, the pink skirts have been traded in for jeans and a basic white-tee thrown on top.