Prologue

I'm running, running faster than the one time I did when a dog was chasing me in my neighbourhood. But this time a dog isn't chasing me, a monster was. It feels like I'm running from my problems and their solutions but I just can't confront them.

In this dark alley, everything is eerily silent and surrounded by darkness. Just like the silence before a storm. I was running bare foot in particularly no direction. My legs hurt from all this running. The tears fall from my swollen eyes and burn into my skin more. I feel helpless. I feel unprotected. The only sound that's audible to me is that of my breathing, strained breathing.

Until, a high pitched cry pierced my ears and heaviness settled in my heart. I stopped and looked back at the gruesome monster few metres away from me standing high and mighty with a knife in one hand and a person on the other whom he had held by his neck. The person was struggling hard to get out of its grip on his neck, kicking and squirming in its hold but the monster was strong. The person's face isn't visible in the dark. There isn't any lamp here or any escape route. The clouds cleared away from the moon as the monster took a step closer to me making me back away from him more. I was trembling, in fear and anticipation of what's going to be next. But the most prominent question in my mind was 'Who's this man?'

With the soft moon light falling on both of them, I saw them first time in light. I fell two steps back like an invisible force hit me hard.it felt like someone is cutting off my oxygen supply. It wasn't the monster's face that scared me; it's that of the person.

"Ace "left my mouth as a startling fear gripped my heart. His eyes met mine and a silent message to run away was communicated. But I couldn't. My legs won't and neither does my mind signal me to run.

I took my eyes away from him towards the monster who was grinning widely. How I wish its face to split into two. And then he said the most horrifying words he could have ever uttered in his malicious, bone chilling voice.

"I told you to not play smart with me. But you, pretty rabbit, won't listen. Now you'll pay." He looked at the boy he was holding and pointed the knife in its hand towards his heart. "From his heart."

With that, he thrust the knife in his heart and all life went out of his eyes. With his life, a part of me too went away from me, to him forever. I cried, trying to run towards him, trying to catch him as the monster threw him away like a sack but my legs won't move. I looked down to find them chained with black smoke. I saw him fell on the ground with a thud. Tears escaped my eyes as I felt myself bound. Slowly the dark smoke started to consume all of me. My eyes widen and I look up to see the monster standing in front of me, too close for my liking. He bends down a little so that his hooded, evil eyes met mind. His smell was rancid. He came closer to me and whispered in my left ear.

"Now, it's your turn."

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

I jolted out of my dream and breathe a sigh of relief.

Not the same dream again.

My breathe came out in pants and it felt like the whole darkness around my room was closing on me. I got out of my bed throwing the comforter aside and went towards the large glass doors to my balcony. I slide them to my left and stepped out and let the cool breeze soothe me.

I don't want to dream that again. Pain griped my heart thinking about the dream. I shook my head and stood there for a while looking at the city lights scattered far and wide from where I stand right now. The memories of that fateful day tried to evade my mind but I blocked them out. I'm not going to cry anymore.

It's been ten years. He won't remember me and I should move on.

My heart constricts at these thoughts and I sighed. I guess ten years are not enough. And he wasn't a thing to get forgotten so easily. Something's are just unforgettable.

Ace is one of them. And will always be. In my memories.

Hey! Welcome to the official beginning of "if only". I started it last year but just wrote one chapter and left it. My time span of interest on anything is minimal but this time I'm sure going to complete it.

Since, English isn't my first language and I suck at grammar, plz ignore them.

Vote.comment.share.

And enjoy!