Chapter Three

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.
Travis's ears pricked at the sound of a familiar heart-rate monitor. His eyes slowly opened, narrowing at the bright lights that shined into his eyes. He recognized a hospital room, but not the one he had been at before. He could smell several different doctors and nurses that had visited frequently, but weren't currently in the room.
He sat up, taking deep breaths through his nose. Travis recognized the scent of Zane, which was present mostly beside the bed. How long have I been asleep?
He inspected every inch of the room from where he sat on the bed, as if it would give him a hint as to how long he'd been in the room.
The door opened and clicked shut as a doctor walked through, hurrying around the room and seeming busy.
"Hey," Travis mumbled, his voice quiet and rough from not being used in a while.
The doctor jumped, looking over his shoulder at him. "Hello, Travis.. How are you feeling?"
"Not great. Everything hurts."
"Your arm and stomach are healing.. Very well, actually. It's normal to still be sore, though," he said, nodding as he walked closer to the bed. "Has there been anything bothering you lately? Any bad dreams, bad thoughts..?"
     "Uh, no.. Not really."
Lies..
     "That's great. Let me know if anything like that happens." The doctor nodded once more, then went about his hurried business. He dug around, grabbed something out of a drawer, and left after making sure Travis was comfortable.
Travis awkwardly fell back down onto the bed, his eyes focusing on the bright ceiling. He felt his heartbeat and heard its beat matching with the heart monitor beside him.
     After a few moments of silence, he sighed heavily and shut his eyes.
     This is already so boring... What do people even do in the hospital beside lay around and be bored?
     He twisted his head sideways to smell the side of the bed. He smelled Zane there, and could tell Zane had been there frequently, leaning on the bed beside his pillow.
     Watching Travis... even crying a little.
     Waiting for him to wake up.

(A/N A nice, short chapter to get this story back up and running. Half of this was written right before the huge break, so.. yeah. Expect some slightly better writing.)