Ocarina of Time ~ Bonus Story: The Skull Kid and the Mask ~ Part 1

This bonus story takes place in the time when Link is a child.

When the Deku Nuts turn red and pop open, everyone in the Kokiri Forest prepares for the annual Deku Festival. They hang beautiful decorations, practice their singing and dancing, and busy themselves night and day. And Link?

The Kokiri children gathered around. A girl with pigtails stood on top of a stump. "Okay, now let's decide who's gonna star in the play. For the Fairy Princess... we're unanimous for Saria."

Everybody cheered. Link sat on the ground. Mido was standing behind Link with his arms crossed. Mido laughed. "Well, that's no surprise. Link, what're you going to do?" Link let out a big sigh. "I'm no good at theater... I hope I get a role without any lines... how about you, Mido?" Mido pointed at himself. "The lead role of Fairy Prince, of course! Then I'll beat the bad guys and save Saria." Mido had an image in his head of whacking Link with a stick, and Saria standing close to him. 'Mido... you're so much cooler than Link!'

"Who knows what might happen?"

"Okay, next is the Fairy Prince." A girl stood up and raised her hand. "I think Link would be good!"

"HUH?!"

"Yeah, Link would be perfect." Everybody agreed. Link blushed. "Hey, wait—""WAIT!!" Mido grabbed Link. "Why is he the prince? He doesn't even have a fairy!" Link growled at Mido. "Hey! What's that got to do with the play?" Mido growled back. "I'm more suitable to be the prince!"

The girl with pigtails held up her arms. "Okay, we'll have an audition. Both of you, swing a sword and pose!"

Link and Mido swung a stick in the shape of a sword. Mido did an awkward pose with a sloppy swing, with a weird position. However, Link swung his sword a little sideways, like a real swordsman would swing. "It's unanimous! Link will be the Prince!!"

After that, everyone decided the rest of the roles for the play

After that, everyone decided the rest of the roles for the play. "All right, now each of you make your mask for the play! There isn't much time, so hurry!" Link struggled to carve his mask. "Aw, man... this stinks! What should I do?"

Mido picked up his Skull Mask. "But why am I the villain? It's not fair!"

Saria walked over to Link and leaned over. "How's it going, Link?" Link looked like he was struggling. "It's a big honor and I'm doing my best, but..." Saria kneeled down. "Oh, that's no good! Don't carve it like that!"

 "Oh, that's no good! Don't carve it like that!"