Chapter 4

'What the heck Oliver, you scared me!'

'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to,' he said, looking right at me. 'I just -'

'You just what? You want to get angry with me because I didn't do what you wanted me to?' I'm almost yelling at him. 'Oliver, if you hadn't noticed already, I'm not a little girl. I can take care of myself, so I don't need a babysitter.' My hands are balled into fists, trying so hard to contain myself.

'No, that is not what I wanted to do,' he runs a hand through his hair in frustration. 'I wanted to apologise,' he says with a sigh.

'Oh,' is the only thing I can say. I didn't expect that.

'I'm really sorry I talked to you like that. I had no right to do that, so hereby I want to apologise to you for my rude behaviour.'

'Apology accepted,' I tell him.

He walks to me and pulls me into a hug. 'I just feel like I need to protect you,' he says, almost whispering. It's kind of sweet, but I am an independent woman. I don't need him.

'I don't need your protection.'

'I know you might not need it, but you don't know the people in this town like I do.' He lets me go to look straight at me.

'There's nothing wrong with the group I hung out with,' I say, not really convinced. They all seemed really nice and fun, so at first sight, they don't look like bad people.

'Most of them are fine people -,' he says 'but, Easton. He has done some bad things in the past, so don't get too involved with him,' he looks sincerely concerned.

'What kind of things?' I ask him.

'He mistreated some girls, used them,' he frowns his eyebrows. 'So if you can help it, don't get to close to him.'

He seemed so nice. Yes, he looks a bit rough, but he doesn't look evil.

'Just be careful who you hang out with. Choose your friends wisely,' Oliver says.

I nod. 'I will. Thank you for looking out for me, I really appreciate it.' I give him a sincere smile.

We say goodbye and go upstairs to our rooms. I brush my teeth and change into my sleeping clothes before I jump into bed.

I keep thinking about today. I know now that the people who live here are interesting and that I'll have to keep in mind that I don't really know these people. This is a different kind of city with different kinds of people than my hometown.

Note to self: Don't judge people at first sight.

With this thought, I fall asleep.

* * *

On Sunday, I don't really do much. I spent most of the day looking into my new schoolbooks to study some things so I won't be lacking too far behind. After dinner, Oliver and I decide to play some games on his PlayStation.

'So, what do you think about this city,' Oliver asks.

'It's different,' I tell him hesitantly.

'So, looking at your facial expression, you hate it,' he laughs.

Wow, I'm I so easy to read?! 'Jeah, you know-' I pause for a second. 'It's just not my kind of town. I prefer a quiet, simpler environment. The people in this town find money and wealth way too important.'

He nods understandingly. 'I get why you don't like it. I think this life isn't fit for most people, so you're not the only one. A lot of the younger people that live here decide to go to college in a city as far away as possible. Most of them don't even return.'