Chapter 3

When her vision became clear. Lilith lay upon a small raft made from rough, sun-bleached drift-wood and woven vines. She was surrounded by the ocean, which glistened brightly as the sun danced upon its surface. As the small craft rocked and swayed, small waves lapped against its sides in a continuous rhythmic beat. Lilith heard strange sounding seabirds cawing high above her soaring on the ocean breeze. She looked up from watching the water and saw the shoreline of a tiny island far off in the distance. She noticed that the wind suddenly changed course, pushing her small craft towards the mysterious small island.

With no paddle or rudder to help her steer, all she could do was simply sit on the raft and let the ocean be her guide. Though her speed was steady, the island was a long way off and as she sat, she began to ponder where she was. Lilith knew that once again she was not in the living world but in another realm entirely. Not that of the past or memories, but one that ran alongside time and life and yet, was unaffected by it.

For six risings and settings of the small blue glowing sun Lilith travelled, drifted and watched the slow-moving purple hued clouds above her glide through the deep teal coloured sky. As night took reign over the day, she watched the glistening stars. The sky was so clear that all the strange and wonderful constellations of this realm were visible and shooting stars could be clearly seen racing across the night sky in a fiery blaze. As day took over from night, she watched the strange but dazzling forms of uncountable creatures, unlike any seen in her world, drift below her tiny craft in the deep ocean below.

On the seventh day of continuous sailing her craft finally reached land. She found herself on a stone covered beach littered with various seaweeds and beautiful pink and purple shells as beautiful as any jewel that was found in her world. Strange looking creatures, which looked like a penguin mixed with a walrus plodded along the beach looking for food. Keeping her distance from the strange creatures, Lilith walked down the beach along the shore towards a rocky outcrop a strange feeling drawing her to it. The cool water of the tide swept over her feet and made her skin tingle. She knew that this was no ordinary ocean. Even the breeze that blew across her face and the sunlight that shone upon her head seemed to sing, filled with the energy of life.

When she reached the out crop, she found a tunnel. Roots hung from its ceiling and a cool breeze blew outwards from within. It seemed to beckon her forward inviting her into its embrace. She knew the cave would likely fill up when the tide came in, but despite her worry, something drew her onwards. Lilith knew this was where she would find some the answers she sought. With that knowledge mind, she took a deep breath and walked into the cool, damp tunnel.

Lilith walked in complete darkness for the first few hundred feet. The tunnel gradually sloped down. She walked slowly watching her step as much as she could, feeling her way along in the darkness. Up ahead she saw a faint glow and hesitated. Could she be harmed here?

She didn't know but still she was drawn further onwards into the tunnel by some unseen force. Lilith was happily surprised to find that no vicious creature awaited her up ahead. As Lilith advanced the walls began to glow and as she inspected further, she found that the walls were covered in a heavy mass of luminous moss and lichen illuminating the way forward.

Finally, after descending non-stop for what seemed like days, she came to a cave filled from head to toe with huge and delicate stalagmites and stalactites. The sound of constantly dripping water filled the cave. The walls were also lined with the strange glowing moss. Lilith could clearly see the deep pool of sea water that took up almost half of the cave and which she presumed was sourced from ocean outside.

As she looked along the rim of the pool saw a dark, large figure lying on a rock jutting out of the water. Lilith froze, fearing the worst as she slowly crouched down, not taking her eyes from the creature for a moment, and picked up a large rock. A useless weapon was better than nothing at all. Cautiously, Lilith approached the creature. What she found both shocked and puzzled her. On the rock, lay a massive brown seal its eyes closed and breathing deeply. It didn't stir as she approached. Lilith hesitantly but before she could stop herself, she carefully placed her hand upon its soft sleek pelt.