-3-

Her first day on the job was pretty simple. Everything was pretty much explanatory as Daniel showed her the daily programs she would need on the computer. Of course, he could tell the exact person she was within an hour of conversing. She didn't speak much unless she answered him. "Yes, Sir. No, Sir." She barely made eye contact unless he was speaking directly to her and she had a certain tension to her that he couldn't quite place.

Though her presence didn't faze him, he realized she fazed others around her. Rick, the front desk receptionist, tried putting on his usual pleasant smile to show her around the office, but she politely turned him down and told him she could find everything herself. He couldn't believe he was actually declined for something so casual.

"That girl, Dan, I think you've made a wrong choice in hiring."

Daniel looked up from his paperwork and leaned back in his chair. Interested to know why his choices concerned a front desk clerk. "Why is that, Rick?"

"She worries me. She has no understanding that this firm is a public obligated company and her not even conversing with the staff, Sir. I'm afraid that girl is seriously disturbed."

"Well, since your expertise is greatly needed, I shall inform you that she is not "conversing to customers", she's conversing to me and only me." Rick remained quiet for a moment and just stood there nerved and a little shook. "Don't you have a job to do, Rick?"

With a sigh and a shake of his head, the receptionist turned to storm out of the office before he stopped in his tracks to see the dark haired assistant standing at the doorway with the folders of paperwork clutched to her chest. Uncomfortable at the sudden face-to-face encounter, he rushed out without so much as a wave.

Daniel couldn't help but freeze, knowing she heard everything Rick complained about. She walked up to his desk and set the folders down nicely, she kept her head completely down. "All of the scheduling for the week are complete. You have a 2 o'clock appointment with Dr. Grant and a 5 o'clock lunch date with Peggy Barton today." She stated quietly. "May I leave for the day, Sir?" He could hear her voice crack a little, but decided against asking her well being after what she had heard about her being - what did he say? Disturbed.

"You've done very well today, Tanya. Thank you. You may go."

She didn't mutter a word as she nodded in thank you and turned on her heels to scurry out as fast as she could. That is, until she almost ran into a handsome gentleman in a suit. "Sorry." She muttered.

"Well, you definitely look better without sweats and a hoodie on." At this she looked up to see the same dimpled man that she had almost spilled drinks on in the café the other night.

Freaked out, she immediately bolted past him and through the doors. His eyes never leaving from her view, he hadn't noticed Daniel approached next to him with his eyes in the same direction.

"She is a strange one, isn't she?" The stranger said thoughtfully, keeping his eyes glued to her exit.

"Yes, but she is one hell of an employee." Daniel replied before tapping him on his back and made his escape towards the elevator.