2

REDS POV

I was only halfway through cutting the lettuce for tonight's salad when footsteps could be heard echoing through the kitchen. My kitchen. I dropped the knife onto the counter and felt rage build up t my shoulders. "Shoes! No footprints or you'll never enter here again!" 

"Red," I looked up from the three pairs of shoes when I heard my daughter's voice. My beautiful biological daughter, Nicky. She had mischievous  Alex and kind-hearted Lorna behind her.

"Is everything alright?" I asked. It had to be bad enough for even Lorna to go somewhere unpermitted for her to be. But Alex and Nicky? Rebellious little girls. I grabbed Nicky's arm before she got the chance to say anything. I looked into her green eyes and clenched her arm harder. I looked down between my fingers and caught sight of her heroin scars I'd stared at a countless number of times.

"Mom" she caught me looking and pulled down her sleeves. Alex and Lorna acted like they hadn't noticed. "Everything's fine. We have a new girl...and she's in your bunk."

I felt the rage dye my hair a deeper red. "What's she like?" I asked, to mask my anger. 

"She's polite and quiet." Alex said quietly.

"Her hair's kinda like chocolate," Lorna giggled. Nicky grinned at her.

"Okay, I'll deal," I groaned, wiping the sweat off of my forehead. "And take showers. You'll all get an extra Jell-O if you smell like petunias tonight,"

"Ah, Red, you know what I do in the showers," Nicky turned around and winked at me, "And Lorna here seems to love it," she puts two fingers under her nose and lets out a huge aaaaaah. 

I look at her in a warning-way until she raises her hands in surrender and smacks Alex's butt.

If this is what keeps her out of heroin, I'm her biggest supporter. But if sex