Chapter 1- The Run

The sound of a car humming heavily was all that was heard as Ivy's mum sped through the Strzelecki ranges towards their new home, her face full of fright from the morning just gone. Ivy looked away from the sight of her mother and focused on other things. The cold night air and the smell of maneour that reminded her of her auntie's house, her mortal side of the family would always visit. The night was dark, the deep green trees swayed, watching her as she sped past, whispering the future to her. Rain poured from the skies, falling on all under its wings. Covering the dry with wet and freezing the life in its path.

Each drop, Ivy thought, resembled a moment in her life. A time when she had truly felt like she didn't belong. As a young girl Ivy never understood anyone around her. She didn't meet her father until the age of 5 when she began to feel dizzy during the daytime. Her spells of dizziness got worse until she was diagnosed with UV-intolerance. Her father arrived that day in hospital to her and he told her she was different he spoke, "Ivy, you are so much more different than you know, you will learn of your Elvin heritage in time my dear. I am sorry but I must leave again," and he would leave her often with his voice ringing in her ears. He told her all about their kind over the years. But at this very moment none of those memories would matter and so they would fall from her mind and hit the ground spreading to the furthest parts of her unconscious.

She looked at her wrist. On it was the gift from her last boyfriend James. He had given it to her on the eve of her 16th birthday just passed. It was a simple delicate bracelet gold plaited with emerald coloured gems she imagined were a type of crystal, but never bothered to ask. She wished she did.

She didn't know what it was that caused the events up until now or why she was being whisked through the hills at this time of night. She knew she was heading to a new home, which her father had screamed for them to hurry to, but she had no idea why. Then she thought to her father's deranged expression as they left, his face bloodied and keys with instructions on paper in his hand. He forced them into her mum's hands. He mentioned danger and something else so Ivy acted and forced her mum into the car before he gave their kind away, first rule of Elvin law. 'Never under any circumstances must our existence be known by the humans'.

She was told them from a young age. Her father was always kind hearted and moral some, despite his nature. He was much more so incredibly powerful than her. His family was one of the original Elvin Courts, The Nights. The other four families were of the Faerie courts, the Dreamers, Reflectors and Elements.

The Elements were the strongest court of all the families and so they ruled over the other courts. Setting the laws of Elvin and controlling the elements of the worlds. The elements could form and destroy any element in existence. And so they controlled the balance between the courts. This was until the Elemental Queen passed and Faerie did not appoint a bloodline leader. Father always spoke of how her son defected and shamed them, causing the Elemental realm to separate itself from the rest of Faerie to keep order and peace in Faerie. Thus, only Elemental fey can enter the Elemental Realm.

The reflectors were the controllers of emotion and scenario, predicting the future and encouraging it in their reflection of desire.

The dreamers counteracted the nights encouraging the Faeries that thrived during the day through daydreams and those during the night in their dreams. They manipulate the minds of all Elvin except the Elements causing death and destruction. But without them the elements could not keep the balance of order.