**Ch. 48 - Before**

I t w a s not fun walking around New York in the summer.  It was hot and humid.  The air felt sticky, like I was covered in glue that I couldn't get off.  While there was a lot of shade because of the buildings, the second you stepped into the sunlight, you felt like a vampire about to melt away.

There weren't too many people on the street, which was rare for New York.  People did not want to be in the sun, or stuck to a hot, leathery taxi seat.  I couldn't imagine how much electricity was being used up for air conditioning and keeping the ice cream cold.

I wanted ice cream so bad.  I'd already walked by seven different vendors, and with no money, I could only keep my saliva to myself as I watched kids get handed their ice cream from the vendor or the parent who paid for it.  I still had a long way to go before I made it to the igloo sanctuary known as the library. 

But I needed money.  I didn't eat all night.  I could barely sleep in that tree in Central Park (about that---I read it in a book where runaway kids with wings slept up there (it's totally possible)).  I woke up with dew that instantly melted away once the sun was high enough to make everything sizzle.

"Hey!  Stop!"

I looked ahead and saw a woman in a red jacket wave her arms.  Running toward me was a gruffy man in a beanie, his arms wrapped around something like a football player keeping the football safe.  Clearly, this was the guy.

I was hangry (hungry and angry about it) so I just stuck out my arm enough that he crashed into it.  Nothing was broken.  He lied on the hot concrete, looking dazed.  I took the purse from his hands and gave him a kick in the ribs with a muttered, "Jerk," in his direction.

The woman was walking toward me as fast as her high heels could allow.  "Thank you," she said breathlessly.  "I have my rent in there."

"No problem," I said, handing her bag back.  I started walking.

"Wait," she said.  I turned.  The woman was rooting through her bag.  "I just cashed my paycheck....  So... here."  She handed me a twenty-dollar bill.

"I can't take that."

"No, no---you deserve it.  Here."

Reluctantly, I took it.  This lady was feeding me, after all.  She smiled and briskly walked away, glancing behind her toward the man.  He'd already ran off.  The woman was walking in the direction I'd been going.  Now, with money, I could go back to all those vendors and small diners I'd walked past.

"Hey, kid."

I stopped and looked.  I'd always walked by a few alleyways.  A man in a brown leather jacket stood there, smoking a cigarette.  He'd called me.

"What?" I asked, a little guarded.

"You've got an arm on you.  You must be a really strong kid."

"I work out," I shrugged.  "Is that all you wanted to say?"

"I actually had a proposition for you, and I think you'll like it."

I narrowed my eyes.  "And how would you know?"

"I live around here.  I've seen you walk up and down this street for the past week.  I've also seen how you look in the restaurant windows and never enter, how you walk by the vendors but your eyes linger.  You've got no place to call home, don't you?"

"I didn't know strangers could be so thoughtful," I said wryly.  "What's your point?"

"I take in strays like you.  I give them a place to sleep, things to eat, and make them feel useful.  I can tell you need to feel useful."

"How do I know you're not some pervert trying to lure little boys into your van---"

"I got it!  I got it!"

We both turned to find a small boy running toward us.  He looked maybe five, blond hair and big blue eyes.  "Dad, I got it!"  The boy ran right up to the man, who caught him.

"This is Jimmy, my son," said the man.  "Well, not biologically, but I take care of him and four other boys, a couple of them about your age."

"This is an intricate trap," I commented.

The man chuckled.  "Well, I live at 4217 Oak Street, just around the corner.  Easy to spot.  If you ever change your mind, you can come by any time."

"What's your name?"  I could easily check out his place, make sure 'Jimmy' or any other boys weren't being held there against their will.

"The name's Alex Beckham."

****************

I don't have the story with me---sorry.  But I decided I could at least put in some backstory while I still could.  I'm sure you want to know what happened after the meeting with Johanna, but I'm sorry that I don't have the chapter with me.  It's almost done.  I hope that this sort of makes up for it.

Thank you for your time.