25 - Sandy Sun Down

The location of the Akatsuki would be somewhere close to Sunagakure. It would be a day's journey. Almost a full 24 hours to spend together. Six hours had already passed. The dirt and grass slowly fading into sand. Mind you we have had barely any time to rest and heal. So, there was a drag to our travels. Dei was strong, but it was only my adrenaline that kept me going. Once we reached the sandy plains I became grateful that I left my lab coat behind.

Sweat stained each corner and crevice of my body. I desperately moved my hair out of my way, and wished I had a hair tie like Deidara. My feet were raw, the pain numbing and I couldn't even feel my feet anymore. I was tempted to take off my shirt but decided not to. Too much sun could give me skin cancer. Can't believe I'm worrying about that now. We slugged along into the outskirts of Sunagakure. Dragging our feet in the sand.

"Are we getting any closer?" I asked with a tired edge. I watched as Deidara slumped into the sand, beneath a very rare and small tree. It barely shaded Deidara.

"Un. No more than an hour or two out now." He wiped the sweat from his brow. I sat next to him. Not even a breeze decided to grace our tired forms. The sun was three fourths into its rotation. Almost to sun down. I reached into the pack by my side, and pulled out some fruit I stowed away from the previous day.

"Here you need to eat." I handed deidara an orange.

"Un. Thank you." He gave a weak smile.

I opened my own orange, as did he. The rich smell of slightly overripe orange surrounded us. A cloud of citrus. Sweet juice slipping past our dry fingertips. We sat in the silence of the desert, and enjoyed our last meal. Passing an almost empty water canister between the two of us. We sat and waited for hours. Watching the sun slowly descend. Safe beneath the graceful shade.

I held Deidara's hand, and it had a comfort. There was no fear, no regret. I accepted that everything was absolute. The only doubt I felt in my mind was Deidara. I didn't think he deserved to die. He is so strong, and has such a long future in front of him. He acts like he is so ready to give his life with me. I know deep down that that kind of request is too large to ask of anyone. Even the person you say you love.

My other hand rested on the full pack on my hip. It had three syringes of Oublier. It was less a weapon, and more of a memento. A powerful concoction of permanent Amnesia. I had wanted it for myself. To start anew. Become a new character. Now I had no use for it. It only reminded me that the person I was wasn't just a figment of my imagination. As my hand held fast to Deidara's, and my other lay on the pack. My eyes drifted to a dreamless slumber. My mind not bothering to remember the dreams or nightmares that I might have conjured up. I had a peaceful slumber. Just as they should be.

In the middle of my rest I felt Deidara shake my shoulder. My eyes cracked open. Sleep crusting them. I looked around and saw the sun almost gone.

"Hey." Deidara smiled, a certain energy in his voice and expression. "I love watching you drool in your sleep, but it's starting to get cold. Un."

"Hey, you do it too. Don't try to deny it." I scooched closer to him. Feeling his warmth. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders. Taking his hair tie out with the other hand. His hair fell like silk.

The air had caught a nip to it. The night chill becoming a welcome after the daylight smolder. I moved further into Deidara, his hair tickling small areas of my face.

"Be quiet idiot." He formed a sweet smile, and gazed into my eyes. A fire growing in my chest. I watched as the starry sky reflected on his eye. I gently moved his hair behind his ear. Watching the metal plating closely. I never did bother to ask him about that metal over his eye.

We slowly moved closer. The sounds of distant cities gently echoing in the distance. I could feel his breath against my own. Our fingers entangling, and he cupped my cheek with his other hand. We leaned in, and fire burned. The feeling of his lips against mine. A smooth warmth that flowed between us. I would never be able to forget that kind of pure passion. In our harmony he slipped his hand into my hair. He moved further ontop of me. Our lips becoming more hungry. I remember the feeling of my hands running across his multitude of muscles and pleasant curves. A form that I never wanted to forget.

I felt his hands roam my own body setting electricity through each nerve of my being. A beauty as the sky danced to our symphony. It was an act of ecstasy, an act of love and humanity. We were desperate to stay together. Our lips together signifying our longing to stay together. The human fault of resurfacing for air signifying our destiny. Our destiny to be apart.

He pulled away, holding me tight. Not wanting to let go. I saw the question lingering in his eyes.

Do we have to go?

Neither of us spoke because we both knew we couldn't stop this.

Stone would set our future. I never really believed in an afterlife. Now I wanted one. Somewhere to meet him again. I closed my eyes, tears squeezing out. I gave a silent prayer to anything out there. There had to be somewhere. Someplace else for me to see him again. I couldn't do this without him. Isn't it only fair that I be able to see him, and start over in a new afterlife.

I held his head closer to me. Feeling his warm tears against me. We lay there in the night sand. Starry galaxies far above and beyond us. We held each other, and let it out. A moment of weakness once more. There we lay giving sweet kisses and warm imbraces to each other throughout the night. Until we fell into a slumber of our lovers embrace. My heart felt content. I just hoped that his felt content as well.

He slept in my arms. Small puffs escaped his lips. His heartbeat a slow thump. I was afraid of the future, but right now I needed to focus on right now. I needed to focus on him. His warmth, and his soul. I kept that in mind, and held tight onto him. Desperately trying to keep him in my mind. Trying to block out one thought.

Before you know it it will all be over.

I need to live in the moment. Because moments are all that we have left. 

Oliver here~ So it seems our journey here has almost come to an end. I put a song at the beginning because Jon Bellion is a beautiful singer, and the song seems to fit the circumstances you and Deidara have found yourselves in. 

It has already been a year since I published the first chapter. One month over if you want to get specific. It really joys me to no end that people are enjoying or getting some use out of this story. I never expected it to get any attention. Thank You. 

I probably say thank you too much, but I just can not help myself. Till next time.