Chapter 5: Nobody Understands Me

At the Smith's home, everyone was in their normal setting. Beth was cooking breakfast, Summer was sprawled across the couch texting, and Morty was laid back on the floor, flicking through the Inter-dimensional channels.

Jerry's POV

I strolled into the kitchen. Beth was chopping up some tomatoes. I decided to be spontaneous, and hug her from behind.

"Ah! Jerry?? Really?!" Beth freaked, elbowing me away. What the hell did I do wrong this time!? She span round and ran over to the sink, blood gushing from her thumb.

"Awh honey I'm sorry, you know how clumsy I am" I chuckled.

"Jerry." she bit, running her thumb under the tap. "How in the hell did you think shocking me like that while I'm chopping tomatoes, was ever a good idea?!" She yelled, making me feel like an idiot.

"I said I'm sorry! Why do you always have to push me away Beth?!" I pleaded. She wrapped a bandage around her thumb and groaned.

"Oh, it's just always got to be about you, hasn't it? Always the victim in every situation! How about you start acting like a real man, Jerry? Start setting a good example for our children." She growled, fetching a spoon and stirring up a sauce.

"I'm trying Beth! Why can't you see that? I want our children to have the best future, and let's be honest, the worst example for them in this house is your father!" I mentioned. You'd think she would take it on board, that her crazy father is ruining our children's minds with his wacky inventions and adventures but, nooooo.

"Excuse me! My father is the best thing that's happened to this family in a long time! He's the only reason Morty isn't alone after school, that Summer is more open with us, and that I finally have a piece of my childhood back!"

"Keep telling yourself that Beth, keep telling yourself that." I decided to go bond with Summer and Morty, maybe try and do something together, like play a game...

"No Dad! Just no!" Morty yelled.

"Yeah dad, we're not five years old. God" Summer sighed, putting in headphones.

"Oh c'mon you two! Can't a father spend some quality time with his kids?" I whined. Where did it all go wrong?

"Dad... It's not that we don't love you or anything-" Morty started.

'Awwwh' I smiled.

"But you being here, y'know, l-like all the time... It's kinda awkward... Like mom goes out to work, a-and you stick around. I-I-It's well... Yeah." He finished, unable to look me in the eyes.

"I see... Good talk." I half smiled, feeling like I'd had the world's biggest kick to the balls. I'm constantly putting myself out for this family, and all I get back is attitude and misery. Maybe they'll all start showing me some kindness once my next online marketing scheme kicks off. The slogan is very unique and catchy... 'I'm Liking That'. Perfect! It's going to be for a new burger and fries company, and my pitch is tomorrow!

I thought I might go check on the crazy alcoholic that lives rent-free in my house. I'm sure he's working on some invention that'll blow us all to pieces, or give us a subtle disease that will slowly dissolve our insides overnight or-...

"Fuck!" I heard him curse angrily. I peeped through the crack of door into the garage, curious to see what he was up to. It was hard to observe, but I could see Rick. His clothes were bloody and torn and he was crawling on the ground. He climbed up on a chair groaning, then he pulled out an injection and stabbed it into his arm. What the hell?

His back straightened and he stood up, rubbing his face. After that, I saw him take out a piece of paper from his lab coat, and stare at it...

"Hey, Viper, it's Rick!..." He said aloud to no one.