4: The Ride

Tara

"Now, pull the bar down over your body."

I reached up for the metal bar above me and pulled it down. My feet dangled over the metal platform that soon wouldn't be under me anymore.

"Keep your head inside the ride at all times, and enjoy." said the man working The Great Nor' Easter.

Slowly the ride started moving. My feet were dangling above people watching from below. The cart moved uphill, and I got butterflies in my stomach.

Once we reached the top Cam grabbed my hand, squeezed it as hard as she could, and started screaming.

The coaster immediately had a giant loopty-loop. My head whipped back. Then it spiraled and went in a zig zag motion as my feet swung back and fourth. My skin tingled and my hands were numb and white from gripping the bar so hard. We went on one more loopty loop and a very sharp turn. Cold sweat slid down my face and hit my smiling mouth. We were at the end. Suddenly, the ride stopped and my body was jerked forward.

"Tara," Cam said, "that was the funnest thing ever!"

"I know right!" I replied.

Cam took me into the bathroom so she could reapply her makeup. She started by putting a pale powder all over her face, making her freckles disappear. She opened a thing with a shimmery pale blue color inside. She used her finger to pat it all over her eyelid. Next, she used a slightly shimmery pink powder and dusted it over her cheeks. She took a black brush thing and put it on her eyelashes, lengthening and darkening them.

"Wow, you look like another person!" I exclaimed.

"Haha, I hope that's good!" she replied.

She walked out and I followed.

"It's dark. We should go home." I said.

"Yeah." she said.

********

"I can't wait to go under the fence!" I said to Tara.

We were sitting on our bed in our tiny room.

"What fence?" my brother said as he opened the door and peeked into our room.

"Michael," I groaned, "go AWAY!"

"It's ok." Cam said patting the bed next to her. "Come on, Michael."

He skipped across the room, climbed the ladder and sat next to Cam.

"So, about that fence..."

"Oh," Cam said, "you know the woods near Maple Park next to the lake? The woods that's, like, 30 miles deep or something? Well, there's a hole under that fence! We want to go under it!"

"Cool! Can I come?" asked Michael.

"Sure!" Cam exclaimed.

"Yay!" he said excitedly, "You're the best Cam!"

I started to feel angry. Why does Mike have to do everything with us?

I shoved him off the loft bed. He tried to grab the railing but missed and tumbled off the bed. When he hit the ground there was a cracking noise and Michael groaned.

"Mike!" Cam screamed and ran down to get him. His leg was twisted in an awkward position. "Tara! He's only eight!" She yelled.

"I-I'll be ok." Michael said as he scooched away from Cam. He grabbed the dresser and slowly stood up, only to fall into Cams arms.

"Maybe I'm not ok." He said.

Cam put him down and ran downstairs. I could hear her screaming at my mom. I slowly claimed down the ladder and sat down next to Michael.

"Sorry bro." I said sympathetically.

He made a pouty face and looked at the ground.

"Mike!" said his mom as she ran into the room and sat down next to him. She examined his leg and said, "We need to go to the hospital."

She picked him up and sprinted out of the room. Cam looked at me and I nodded. She stood up and sprinted out of the room. I followed her.