6: Panic

Tara

I pulled my leg out from underneath the fence managing to only get a few stings. I sprinted to my bike with Cam behind me and hopped on.

"Come on!" I said without looking back. My heart pounded and my leg with the stings tingled.

I biked until I was panting and near our house.

I hopped off of my bike to rest.

"Hey Cam, how many stings did you

g-"

When I saw no one behind me I started to panic.

I dropped my bike.

"Cam!" I screamed. "CAM!"

I began to shake.

"CAM!" I shrieked. "CAMDEN! CAMDEN TWIG!"

Mr. Gregory walked out of his house.

"Tara, are you okay?" He asked.

"No!" I said running my fingers through my hair. "Cam is gone!"

His smile turned into a frown.

"Calm down, and go look for her." He said.

"But she's in the woods and she stepped on a bee hive and if I go there I'll be covered in stings and-" I fell to the ground and cried for the first time in years.

Mr. Gregory walked over to me. He helped me up and hugged me. A few seconds later he grabbed my shoulders and put me in front of him. I could see sadness in his wrinkled face, but he stayed under control.

"Be brave." He whispered.

"Thank you." I said and then grabbed my bike and ran.

********

After arriving at the park, I threw down my bike and ran to the fence. I climbed up the fence.

"CAM!"

When all I saw was the bracelet I made her snapped in half on the ground, I fell off the fence and wept on the ground.

I felt a soft tap on my shoulder.

"Are you alright?"

I looked up to see a mother holding a little boy's hand and carrying a baby girl.

"My-my friend i-is lost in the w-woods and she got stung by b-bees and fell into the river and I can't find her!"

I burst into tears.

"Should I call the police?" the woman asked with a concerned look on her face.

"Please." I whispered.