7: A New Home

3 days later

Cam

My eyes fluttered open, only to find myself in a river, in the middle of the woods, and covered in red marks. Bee stings possibly.

My skin was prune-like and wrinkly, making me wonder how long I was in the river.

I stood up in the 3 foot deep river and hurled up all of the water that I had consumed. I coughed and felt lightheaded, so I sat down.

How did I get here and where am I? I don't know but I want to go home.

All I could see around me was the river and trees. Even Tara's bracelet had fallen off. But, I remembered that I still had my little backpack.

Anxiously and hungrily, I opened it up to find a water bottle and a few granola bars. Also a compact mirror and a lipgloss.

I started singing a song to myself, "Somewhere over the mountains,

There are big valleys and trees,

Somewhere over the mountains,

There is a pillow of dreams.

"Lay down your head on a pillow of flowers,

Sing a lullaby,

It will all be over in just a few hours,

Tell the world goodbye.

"Don't think about the pain that you're in,

Enjoy the last moments of the sun,

Not ever person is born to win,

Your life is already done.

"Feel the warm water running down your cheek,

Look at the sky and lift your chin,

By now you are innocent and weak,

I know you didn't harm or sin.

"Somewhere over the mountains,

There are big valleys and trees,

Somewhere over the mountains,

There is a pillow of dreams."

I started to cry, thinking about what could happen to me in a few days with only a couple of granola bars.

My stomach let out a growl and I reached into my backpack and pulled out a bar. I ate it slowly savoring every bite. I then shoved the wrapper to the bottom of my bag.

The sun started to set so I laid down on some moss and fell asleep.

********

Day 4

When I woke up I saw the sun shining bright.

"Am I in heaven?"

But, my eyes adjusted and I saw that I was in the woods on a mound of moss.

Suddenly, I heard a noise. I looked over as the creature jumped on top of me.

"AHHHHHHHH!"