reoccurrence; part 3

Static.

Stripes flickering. 

Strobing.

Couples of all ages dressed to the nines huddled in a grand lobby, their conversations muffled and faces blurry as if they were far, far away. Apart from the very large frosted window that looked into the neighboring room, all of the four wallpapered walls were bare, contrasting the heavily decorated aesthetic of the rest of the household. This one was meant to be simple and spacious, save for the plush seating and low tables.

A fine young man with slicked-back peppery hair and a crisp black suit suddenly entered the lobby, his mere presence silencing the entire crowd, all their eyes on him. "Follow me," he said, gesturing for his guests to enter the door from whence he just came in through before holding it open for them.

He turned his head in my direction, his lips curling into a knowing smile "You will need me when the time comes," he spoke with a hushed tone of sarcastic pity before changing his expression entirely. "I might be vital to your survival."

Then he shut the door behind him.

After having made my way into the same room the man had gathered his guests in, I found myself sitting on a red velvet sofa with its back against the wall. Considering that it was empty, I wondered where they had all disappeared to.

"Hello?" I called out, my voice suppressed.

This room was dimly lit and noticeably wooden. 

"Hello?"

And that vase,

That jade vase in the middle of the room atop its podium,

It was haunting me.

As if out of nowhere, the man's voice boomed, "Welcome!" in a rather haunting tone, shaking the entire room.

The lights went off like the flame of a candle fire being blown out by the wind. Silk curtains before me drew themselves back, revealing a screen which a ray of light above my head shone on.

I stared blankly at it, as blank as the screen on the wall was, waiting for something I didn't know I was waiting for.

What would happen next?

I wish,

"Enjoy—"

I knew.

"—the—"

But too late,

"—show."

I realized that I do.