In These Waking Moments

Paultin was pondering his situation as Diath opened the door. His face was wrought with fear and misery, but the moment he saw the blonde man, any concern on his face washed away, replaced by a look of calm and focus.

"Thank god, you're awake. I thought I was going to have to sneak your body out." He walked over to Paultin and began to pull up his shirt.

"Whoah! Dinner and drinks first, buddy." Paultin pulled the shirt back down, crawling back. Diath looked up, pissed off and bright red.

"Dammit, Paultin- I'm checking your bandages! Just-"

"Bandages?" He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. Did I sleep in? Paultin thought. Wait, he realized- "I'm not even hungover!"

Diath only scoffed, unbuttoning Paultin's shirt and examining the blood soaked wrappings across his chest.
As he did, Paultin took a closer look at the rogue. He clearly hadn't slept, his eyes were red and sore, and through his dying blush, he could see- tear tracks?

"I'm going to have to redo your bandages, okay? Hello?" Paultin looked up and stopped staring.
"Sorry, what?"

"Just- just stand up, okay?" Diath looked him over. "Can you, stand up?"

Good question.

As Paultin stood, he braced himself on the bed and pulled himself upright. He took a step forward.

And promptly collapsed- Diath swooping down to grab him just in time.
As they caught their breaths, they braced against each other: Diath exhausted and Paultin in sickly pain.

"Okay, not the best situation. But it'll work. Hold on:" Diath pulled off the bard's shirt and began undoing the bandages across his waist, all while holding onto Paultin, wrapping his arm around his back.
"Ow!" The blonde lurched away from Diaths touch.
"What's wrong? Is your back- "

But as Paultin turned his back to him, the rogue's weary eyes could only widen as he read the word sliced into his back.