Hold Your Breath

The complete  betrayal one felt, and the other committed.

The feeling of being lost is terrifying.
The sudden realization.
The twisting of knots in your stomach.
The fact that you have no idea where you are.
And the fact that if you were to disappear off the face of the earth, that no one could save you.
You are alone.

These were the thoughts on Diath's mind in that moment, even if he wasn't alone.
Paultin sat beside him on the bed, his wounds redressed, and a glass of wine in his hand. His seemed collected, calm. As he drank, he stared at the wall ahead. He was feeling a little better, and the alcohol was helping, but he seemed so utterly distant.
Diath just wanted to shake him out of it, bring him back. The Paultin who smiled and sang and drank and danced until he fell asleep on his feet.
That Paultin wasn't here today.

"I didn't mean it." The rogue uttered.
"Likewise."

The bed was comfortable, at least. Well, compared to dirt or stone floors, anything is. Being this close to Paultin, was uncomfortable. He was strange, a polar opposite to Diath. There were never any consequences for Paultin. He did what he pleased, and in the eye of the divinely-inclined, could do no wrong. But those eyes were gone.
Diath put the glass down and sat up on the bed, swinging his legs over the side. "Paultin, I would like some answers. I feel like you owe me that." He sighed, sitting up too, cross-legged on the sheets. "Yeah, probably."
"... Have you joined Strahd?"

"... Define, 'joined.'"
"Joined- the act of agreeing to working with a person or group, like joining the dark powers."
"It's not what it looks like-"
"-Then what is it?"

The rogue looked out of the window, and stood up. He began to collect his things.
"They got too close, we're leaving."

"Okay; but I'm finishing your drink."
"I wasn't expecting anything less."