Chapter 1

1924 in Buea capital of British Cameroon

Its been over five years since British Cameroon was separated from "la République"(French Cameroon).

Papa says it has done much good to British Cameroon. Our standard of living has greatly increased.

My name is Ebaï Orock and I'm 18yrs old. My Papa is part of the native government; the reason why I'm educated and work at the administration as a secretary.

"Ebai, please listen to me and stop what ever it is you have with Sir Henry aside from work." Mama pleaded with me as we sat in front of the three stone fireplace in our outdoor kitchen.

Sir Henry is my boss. He's twenty seven years old and British.

We only talk about Sir Henry when Papa is not around. If he hears about this, he'll surely disown me.

"Mama, I've already told you that Sir Henry and I are doing nothing wrong". We were talking in our native.

" Remember I'm your mother and a woman too. There are things you can't hide from me.

You are already ripe for marriage. I advice you choose one of your suitors and start making your own home."

"But Mama, I'm not in love with any of them" why does she not understand this?

  Mama only laughed shaking her head. "We are not like the white people. Love builds up in marriage after living together and having kids for your
husband. Forget about what you learn from these white people, we are different.

You know how things work here. Your father is to choose for you whichever suitor he deems fit". I nodded because it's true.

" You should be glad he is allowing you choose" Mama continued. " I can't keep making excuses for you. You and that Sir Henry will never work and who knows? He might even already have a family back at his hometown".

I know we have no future together but he loves me and I love him. What ever happens in the future, happens. Right now I'm ready to keep holding on to our little moments. Thinking of the future who only cause me pain.

  Sir Henry always told me life was short and instead of wasting time worrying over what you don't have, make the most of what you've got.

So I made up my mind not to think about the future Sir Henry and I have. Deep down in me, I know either ways I'll get hurt when all this is over.

The only thing I don't want is to have any regrets when all this comes to an end.

I left the kitchen to get ready for work. Pushing all the doubts behind, I felt excitement.

This happens when ever I'm to go to work. I get excited over getting to see Sir Henry. I've always loved our small talks.

I arrived about an hour later. My office was just a small corridor leading to Sir Henry's office.

I put water in the small iron kettle and placed it on the already turned on stove at a corner of the corridor.so I can make tea for him.

Leaving the kettle on the stove, I sat on my desk going over the documents given to me by Sir Henry.

It didn't take long before my attention was on the fine young man that just entered the office.

He was putting on a black suit over a grey shirt. His dark brown hair gelled behind and mesmerizing green eyes.

"Why didn't the gods give us colored eyes like that and silky smooth hair?" I always asked myself.

I watch him drag heavily on his cigarette before puffing smoke. He throwed it out closing the door behind him.

When our eyes met for a brief second, he smiled at me before walking to my desk.

"Good morning, love. How do you do?" I love it when he calls me that. He does that when we are just us too. Only Mama knows about us and I don't even know how she found out because we try to be discreet. Though I'm guessing it's mother instincts

"I'm fine and you?" He did not answer. Just cupped my chin with his palm and kissed me on the lips.

" I want to take you somewhere right now". He said rubbing my back.

There's no way I'll ever say no to him so I just nodded.

"Should I make your tea first?" I asked. He loved his tea a lot. In fact as much as I know the British were constantly drinking tea.

"That can wait" he replied pulling me out of the office. I took my hand from his and walked towards the stove, turning it off.

He led me out of the office to his car. We stayed in total silence through out the drive which is rather unusual.

When ever  we were together we always had things to discuss about but now he seemed off, lost in thoughts.

He will always ask me little things about myself and our traditions. While he'll tell me about London and its people and equally about the queen.

At times we'll just spend time teaching each other our various languages. He has really helped me improve my English. And he too has learnt little basic sentences in my native.

He has shown me enough concern by noticing very little things about me and has been there for me.

I remember onetime I was very ill, papa's herbs weren't helping.

He had come to my place with tablets for me. I recall finding them strange when I first saw them. I was hesitant but took them anyway and I was better the next day. Mama was at the farm and Papa was out that day.

One day, he surprised me with the most valuable thing I now have, a simple  golden necklace.

He said it reminded him of me when he saw it.
"Its simple, beautiful and precious just like you", were his words.

That day, I was so overwhelmed. I could not stop the tears that stained my cheeks. And since that day, I never took it off.

I noticed we were going out of town and so my curiosity got the best of me.

"Do you mind telling me where we are going to?" I asked nervously.

"Well if I do tell you, it'll no longer be a surprise. Would it? He questioned raising his brows.

He began humming a song I've gotten so used to listening around him.

Where ever it is he's taking me to doesn't matter just as long as he's there. The trust I have in him, is something which scares me.

  I only hope I'd not be too damage to recover when all this ends.

Ok guys! Hope you enjoyed reading just as much as I enjoyed writing.

  I apologize for the few typos and grammatical errors you find.

Also, please don't forget to leave feedback and vote if u liked.

Next update will be next week. Till then, love you all.