Dreaming Can Be Dangerous

Bernadette's P.O.V

Back then.

The air whipped between my hair as I swung back and forth. Back and forth. It felt so nice, to be able to feel like you can fly. It felt like all worries have slipped your mind, that school and grades weren't making you stressed, that perfect bodies and boys mattered, that you weren't waiting for your father to return from the hospital, as you swung through the cold and crisp winters morning. I was a rocket soaring through the cold galaxies of space, I was a kite, twisting and turning in millions of shapes into the cyan sky, or I was a bee scooting around flowers, collecting pollen.

"Careful Berny! You don't want to fall off now do you?" The sweet voice of my mother brought me back to my senses. I was Bernadette Woods, I was in the park with my mum and my best-friend Charlie.

"No mum!" I replied and slowed the swing down. I'm 12 years old.

"Good. You know I always worry about these swings on this park. They seem... Well they seem unstable. Just be caref-" Her sentence was interrupted by the tune of Greensleeves. Yes. Greensleeves was playing from her phone. She preferred the default ringtones, easy and basic.

"Oh it's your father. You two stay here whilst I go answer it." And with that she turned around and walked to a tree a few meters away from where me and Charlie were swinging. I could see her press the green phone symbol to answer the phone, and she quickly held it up to ear, eager to hear what my father had called her for. I turned back to face Charlie and he gave me a big heartwarming smile.

"I do like your mum Berny, but she worries way too much. These swings are fineeee" he drags on the "e" as he starts to go faster and faster on the swing.

"Haha! Bet I can go higher!" I say as I begin to push myself faster on the swing.

I look around me as I soar through the sky, my dark-brown hair lashing around my face as I go faster and faster. The view from here was great. You could see all the way to the old farm just outside of the small town I called home. The park was situated on the highest hill in town, the swings at the very top so you could see everything. I swing my legs back and forth as I glance around the trees, glistened with frost and ice. The winters in this place were beautiful. Or, so i remember.

The wind suddenly sped up. I could feel myself going faster and higher. I tried to scream but no sound came out of my mouth. My hands flew off the swing chains, and my vision blurred. I could no longer hear anything going on around me. The panic rising up in me was bubbling over as I attempted another scream. Nothing. I felt a falling sensation erupt around me. Was i falling off the swing? Why wasn't I landing?

All I could see was a type of duck-egg blue colour surrounding me. Almost like the sky. I tightly closed my eyes shut. I must be falling off the swing, I wait for the impact to hit me, but it never came. So this is what it must be like to die. How strangely peaceful. And Weird. Suddenly, however; a noise came, someone shouting? I tried to tune into what it was saying.

"OY! You'll pay for that Joe! I will not let you get away with it!" A loud booming boys voice explodes the silence. I open my eyes.

I was in a.. classroom? The scene of lots of desks filled my vision. It was a classroom- but not a warm friendly one, and not the ones I'm used to. The atmosphere was harsh. There was a black board situated at the front of the classroom, as was a teachers desk, and then about 25 single desks and chairs. Around the room were paintings of different places around the world, and a big globe in the back left corner of the room. I turn to look in front of me and there was a big-ish boy, probably about 14 years old. He wasn't the slimmest of people, and had greasy dark-brown hair. He stared down at me with a evil grin, whilst other classmates stared down at me with looks of horror or sadness.