Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Images of their love flashed across Charlie’s blue eyes. He still felt traces of her soft lips following the curve of his neck to playfully nip at his ear. Her hands held him, he held her. It was sweet and passionate and so intensely needed.

Charlie held the black spiked necklace in his hands, feeling the chain dance in the air as his fingers let it drop. It was his new treasured possession. He held in his hands the only proof that his lover hadn’t been a figment of his imagination. His Gabrielle did sleep next to him; she wanted him. He rejoiced silently and tightened his fingers. Charlie pressed his lips to the spikes before holding the necklace next to his heart.

“She loves me,” he muttered. “She still loves me.”

The man flashed his eyes around the room. His luggage had been picked off the floor and packed away again. The emptiness of the apartment haunted him. It was his day to leave. The owner of the building already had others lined up to take his apartment. He sighed and scratched his shoulder blade. Whether Gabrielle wanted him or not, he could not stay here. That put a damper on his mood.

“How do I tell her,” he asked aloud. Hastily, Charlie ran to grab a pen and some paper. If he couldn’t find her, she would come to him. In his heart, he knew she would return eventually.

My Dearest Gabrielle,

     I love you. I have since I first laid eyes on your delicate skin. Last night was evidence that we belong in each other’s arms now and forevermore. Unfortunately, the time I was allowed to live here has run out and I have no way of contacting you. I know you will return to this place so I have left this note for you to find me. The address to the Kingdom will be written on the back of this letter. Please, find your way back so we may be together.

Forever yours,

     Charlie Clover

After writing it, the man looked over his writing again and again. He was sure his Gabrielle would return to him. Being satisfied, Charlie began to gather his bags, feeling better than he had in a long while.

“It is not over,” he muttered to himself. Charlie picked up one suitcase, one of his duffle bags, and his car keys. “Everything is getting better I was right. I’ll have my love. My parents would be proud.”

Charlie taped the letter to the front door as he started taking his first few things to his car in the garage below the building. His duffle scraped the side of the tight hallway as he made his way to the elevator.

“Leaving so soon,” an elderly voice asked him from behind. Charlie turned to see his ex-neighbor, Mrs. Whitman, peaking out of her doorway. “Where are you off to this time?”

“Uh, home,” Charlie answered. The elevator buzzed and its doors opened. Placing one of his bags to hold the door open, he turned back to Mrs. Whitman and extended his hand.

“Oh dear, no,” the older woman said, declining the handshake. Mrs. Whitman pulled the man down for a hug instead. Charlie inhaled the scent of her perfume and smiled. “You will be missed. Who else am I going to have to help with my groceries?”

Charlie started to respond but the elevator was starting to buzz again. He let go of her and returned to his things. “Take care, Mrs. Whitman.”

“Buh-bye!” The doors slid closed in front of him and all he could see was his mirrored self.

Charlie stared at his reflection, thinking back to the day he first arrived here. His shirt felt baggier as did his pants. Even his face looked thinner. He thanked god his cheeks got their color back. He escaped to find his love and she had indeed wanted him back. Charlie pushed his shoulders back and deep a deep breath. He was starting to feel okay again for the first time he had in a very long while.

The elevator doors opened and he stepped out. The garage, being under the building, glowed in the orange lights. It was all concrete and chipped paint. Black splotches lined the floors and the trash can was overfilled. The man was glad to be leaving; this part he would not miss a bit. He found his car in parking spot 23 and opened his trunk.

“Charlie?”

The man spun around to see her. His beautiful Gabrielle stood there in a fitted jacket and dark makeup. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail with a few loose strands falling from being pushed behind her ear. She was more perfect than he’d ever seen her be, more herself and stronger in presence and personality.

“Charlie,” she said while barely keeping a steady voice. “I need you… I need you to…”

Her words echoed in the concrete area. Gabrielle stepped closer, not looking in his eyes. She placed her black nail polished fingers on his chest and he pulled her shoulder to close the gap between them. It felt like another wonderful dream. Charlie felt whole again with her being beside him.

“Runaway with me,” he whispered as he stroked her hair. Gabrielle closed her eyes and exhaled with ragged breaths. “Forget this place and we can live our lives together. We can be—”

A boy around her age came out of the shadows with a strained expression on his face, cutting off Charlie’s thoughts. It was the same boy from the other day, the one his Gabrielle was arguing with. The man’s smile began to diminish. It disappeared completely though when he felt the pressure of the gun on his side. He flashed his gaze down and began to feel his pulse quicken. This was no dream come true.

“Get in your car Charlie,” Gabrielle commanded, finding her voice again. “We’re going for a ride.”

.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: It feels like a short chapter I know. I just wanted to show how much Charlie has changed, how much he has grown into a normal person even if he's still not all there... So will Jason and Gabrielle actually do it?