Chapter 5

The early morning is chilly and dew still soaks the ground.

The smell of overgrown foliage mixes with the moisture in the air.

It smells like evergreen trees and rot. I imagine a group of uglies walking around covered in pine tree sap, then smirk to myself.

We had walked several miles since we left Cottonwood Residential and the sun had gained a few inches above the horizon.

It probably isn't much later than 7.

Digit perks her ears up at something moving behind the trees.

I stand alert and raise my knife in readiness. Just then a squirrel pokes its head curiously out of a pile of leaves.

As soon as it does, Digit takes off after it.

 Within a few seconds, she brings it to me. Still alive, while it struggles between her teeth.

She was waiting for me tell her it was okay. 

I didn't like thinking that I would have to cook it later. 

It almost makes me sick, but knowing we were almost out of food I decide it's a better option than starving.

"Go ahead."

With a simple jaw movement, Digit's teeth sink into creature's neck, making it go still.

She drops the dead squirrel onto the road and I retrieve it, wrapping it into a bandanna for later.

I take one more look at the distance behind us then turned to continue the long walk toward home.