Chapter 1

There was a saying, 'Time heals all wounds,'
yet time and time again those scars still reopen. The pain still comes back.

I tugged my way through the thick snow, the cold not affecting me at all. My parents had sent me off to run one of their errands​ again. "Hurry," they said, but here I sat alone on a brown bench overlooking the river that had still managed to flow in these weather conditions. I used to come here all the time, this was our spot. Now I sat watching the water flow on and on. I sort of envied it. No matter what came its way or tried to block its path, it's always been able to move on, in its same old patterns. So why can't I?

I stood up and began to walk back on the path, past the trees and bushes.

"Anneka. A pleasure to see you again," I heard someone say as I stepped into the small general store.

"Oh, Hey Nat." I said, looking at the stores clerk, a short, wrinkled man peaking out of one of the rows.

"Need any help?" he asked kindly.

"No I'm alright," I said, giving him the best smile I could. I walked down the soup aisle and grabbed a few chicken noodle cans and crackers, then reached into my pocket to see what it was my mother wanted me to get.
'Bread, soda, milk,' was scribbled across an old receipt. After grabbing all of those, I headed to the counter and stuffed the old paper back into my pocket.

Nat followed me up to the desk and watched as I placed all the items onto the counter.

"This be all?" he asked. I grabbed one of the candies from one of the boxes and put it in the pile. Nat gave me a questioning look, "Now what would your mother say?" I shrugged.

He added all the prices up and read it to me. I handed him my father's credit card and waited for him to finish. After grabbing the bag of groceries, I headed for the door, a cold burst of wind smacking me as I opened it. I walked on the newly plowed sidewalk, past the river. Looking over at the empty bench, I sighed remembering what that place use to mean to me.

"What? You want me to say sorry?" He teased.
"Shut up," I responded with a laugh, eating a chocolate from the basket on my lap. He hit his shoulder against mine, laughing as well.
He looped his arm around my shoulders and I leaned into his embrace. I looked up into his bright blue eyes. After noticing my staring, he asked, "What?"
"Nothing," I giggled.
He reached for the basket and took one of the chocolate's, shoving it in his mouth before I could process what happened.
"Hey!" He laughed in response. "You're so mean."
"But you love me anyways," he said back, still smiling.
"Yes, I do," I said sincerely.
We watched the sun set on the river bank, a burning orange hue.
He turned, looking down at me with an unreadable expression. I detected a hint of sadness in his gaze as he said, "I love you too, Anna."

I shook away the voices and saw the bench empty again, the memory fading away. Ignoring everything I felt, I continued to walk though the plaza.

I reached my road, and walked into my yard. The lights were on and my father's truck was gone. He must have gone off to help with the construction. I reached into my coat and pulled out my scarf, to wrap it around my neck.

"Mom! I'm here," I said knocking on the door. My mother opened the door with her brunette hair half straightened, and half still curled. "Um. I got the groceries." I said, questioning her new look.

"Ok, honey just set it on the counter. I was just in the middle of straightening my hair."

"Oh, right." I said and walked into the kitchen. Before heading upstairs, I pulled the candy out of the bag and unwrapped it.

Sitting at my desk, I turned on my computer and started to scroll through my emails. 'Aiden,' was titled along with all of the other names on the board. I clicked on it and saw all the old emails show up. I read through a few, even though it took a while. It was one of the only ways I could still feel close to him. I scrolled past one that said, 'Hey Anna, meet me at the bench at 3. Dress warm.' Another read, 'Anna, we have to talk.'
The day he sent that was the day he told me he was moving, and that we wouldn't be able to see each other anymore. I was heartbroken to say the least. That was one of the hardest days to get through. Only the eleventh was more painful than knowing I wouldn't see him again.

'I miss you,' I typed in and sent, knowing I would never get a response. I turned off my computer and laid in my bed, wiping the tear from my cheek.

"Anneka?" My mother called from downstairs.

"Augggghhh." I groaned and sat up wiping my eyes.

"Honey your father and I are going out. You wanna come?" She yelled.

"No." I plainly stated.

"Come on honey. You've been up there since the eleventh. " She said, trying to convince me.

"No mom." I said.

"It's been a month Anneka, you need to get out the house," she said sounding annoyed.

"Mom, you can stop trying." I said and sighed.

"Fine. Well, your father and I are going to go out to that new restaurant up near the memorial," she said and headed out the door. "Love you." I heard the door close.

I sat up and grabbed a picture frame sitting on my dresser. It showed a black haired boy and me. Both of us had smiles on our faces. Behind us you could see two, tall silver towers.

The twin towers.